1753492 Members
4810 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Device Reachability Notifications - Ping and Health Reset

shocko
Honored Contributor

Device Reachability Notifications - Ping and Health Reset

Guys, I'd like to be able to have SIM continuously monitor my servers ping response. To do so, I do the following:

• Create a dynamic group to group all devices identified as servers
  • Create a hardware status monitoring job that only uses the ping test to run every 15 mins

Now, this works fine but will not repeatedly fire an alert on each poll interval even when the system is not reachable. The reason is as follows:

• The polling task pings are sent on each run of the task regardless of status of target in SIMWhen the server is unreachablethe ping fails and an event is logged against the server (system is  unreachableand the overall status of the server is set to critical and the sub ping status is also set to criticalHowevernext time the polling tasks runsanother event of type 'system is  not reachablewill not be logged against the system unless the ping status is healthy so unless a 'system is reachableevent is logged as a result of the poling task successfully pinging the server and the status is healthy, the 'system is not reachable' will not re-fire

Now for me, I consider this a failing of the software. With batch runs/av etc. running at night, it's easy to miss a ping. ALso, with so many alerts form our various software each night, it also easy to miss a server that genuinely when offline over night. So, is there any way to reset the healthy status of a server manually or at least the ping health status? That way the polling would refire the 'system is not reachable' event and I could alert on it ;)

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
1 REPLY 1
shocko
Honored Contributor

Re: Device Reachability Notifications - Ping and Health Reset

Bump.

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)