5632 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Disk Drive Firmware

Pcole
Occasional Advisor

Disk Drive Firmware

Hi,

Has the ability to be able to update hard disk firmware on ProLiant's using HPSIM disappeared for some reason? I had 2 servers (DL360 and DL380 G5's) which i hadn't been able to patch for a while and both were displaying that they required a hard disk firmware update from HPDE to HPDF.

However, I installed most of the available patches on one of them (think it was support pack 3.60 to 3.70), barring these drive updates; and now the drives are still showing firmware HPDE but as severity normal, with no ability to update them (tick box has gone and the support pack/installed version columns are empty).

Having looked over my other ProLiant servers, these also seem to have lost the ability to upgrade the hard disk firmware and I suspect, if I update the DL360G5 to support pack 3.70, this too will lose the ability.

Is there a reason for this or am I missing a trick?

Thanks

Paul

7 REPLIES 7
kkpro
Regular Advisor

Not sure, that you could update hard drive firmware through SIM. Have you tried to update it by hand, using HP Firmware Update CD ?

shocko
Honored Contributor

The Version Control Agent only detects disk drive firmware and makes it available for installation when the WBEM agents are being used as opposed to the SNMP agents. Are you using the WBEM agents?

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Alwin Warringa
Occasional Contributor

But how do you install WBEM agents on RHEL6 by reading this note:

Notice: Linux - HP Insight WBEM Providers for Linux Has Been Replaced by Agentless Management Through Integrated Lights-Out 4 (iLO 4)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03666932&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=3659620&prodTypeId=18964

Pber
Advisor

I realize this is an old thread, but I have the same issue that others are having. 

WBEM is required,  and it was working flawlessly up to Version Control Agent 7.1.x.x.  Since Version Control Agent 7.2 and above, I have not been able to update disk firmware.  The Version Control Agent doesn't even show me the firmware versions anymore either.  The server just sends a post alert if the disk firmware needs updating. 

If I downgrade my version control agent, it starts working again.

HP please fix.

MarkU
Advisor

It's now 2017 and we are on v7.3.5 of the VCA but this problem remains. I can see the disk firmware version installed but cannot see whether there are any updates or run the updates - as used to happen in earlier versions. How do we know whether a critical firmware update is needed?
Mark

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

The VCA/VCRM set is a legacy way of updating your server. The HP preferred way to update your server is by using HP SUM. Did you try to update your server with this tool ? You can even do a remote or scripted (automated) update if you like.

Or do a bunch of servers is that is possible.

Kind regards,

Andrew
MarkU
Advisor

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for your response. We have tried HP SUM but prefer the HP VCR reporting which shows a simple version comparison for each component on a server and a pie chart of the overall update status of a whole group of servers. I realise that VCR isn't getting much support now, but can HP SUM do the same?
Mark