Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752271 Members
4701 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Event ID 1182 Foundation Agent: A Change in the health status of the server has occurred.

Pber
Advisor

Event ID 1182 Foundation Agent: A Change in the health status of the server has occurred.

I've recently upgraded my servers to use 9.10.00.0 of the server agents.  Ever since the upgrade,ALL of my servers are now filling the system event log with Event ID 1182 Informational events indicating that "A Change in the health status of the server has occurred".  This occurs every 2 minutes based on the SNMP polling frequency.  It also sends traps to HPSim causing an Informational change of status on the Aggregate Status Icons as well.  I can turn off the trap handling for the trap

cpqHoMibHealthStatusArrayChangeTrap - 11020 in CPQHOST.MIB in HPSim, but doesn't fix the problem of this alert filling up my system event logs.

Any ideas other than downgrading back to version 8.70.00.0 which wasn't an issue.

28 REPLIES 28
BERT_1
Occasional Advisor

Re: Event ID 1182 Foundation Agent: A Change in the health status of the server has occurred.

Hello,

I watch the same effect since updates this weekend, but only on 64bit servers?

32bit servers seem not to have this behaviour.

Any solution or config advices?

Pber
Advisor

Re: Event ID 1182 Foundation Agent: A Change in the health status of the server has occurred.

Good call.  I didn't look that closely since we only have a handful of machines that are 32bit.  But I stand corrected, it is only x64 machines exhibiting this behaviour.  My Windows 2003 x64 and 2008 R2 machines with the latest 9.1 agents are all doing this.

greg long_4
Occasional Advisor

I have the same problem, 2008 R2 SP2 64 bit

Also we are using images with sysprep

BERT_1
Occasional Advisor

Had a hp support call and was adviced to downgrade:

Older server models with Windows 2003 are yet only allowed to SP 8.70 !!

I did and got rid of these messages.

With HP-SIM the server according version for the reference support pack version should be looked for.

greg long_4
Occasional Advisor

I have back reved from HP Service Pack for Proliant 2012.06.0 to PSP 9.0

I removed the Version control agent, insight agent and home page and then installed the 9.00 version.

I now no longer get the 1182 error, but I would like to see HP acknowledge that there is an issue!!!!!

This has cost my company 16 to 20 tech hours troubleshooting and reloading machines as this error does not show itself right away or until you look at event log or configure notification.

greg long_4
Occasional Advisor

FYI We are on

DL380 G5 and DL360 G5 running  2008 R2 with SP2

MMetzner
Frequent Visitor

hello,

i have the same problem with many servers proliant dl370 g6 and windows server 2003 r2 64 bit. i downgrade only to hp insight agents 8.70 and now i have no more events, i hope hp will fix this very fast.

Jockeman
Occasional Visitor

Installed 2012-06 yesterday and I have same problem on DL380 G5 with Windows Server 2003 R2 x64

mbrownnyc
Advisor

Same problem on Windows 2003 R2 32-bit, ML150 G5.

About every one-two minutes the Foundation Agents reports some of the services that are running locally (review the Data section of the event in the event log), then reports that they are unreachable.  This cycle continues indefinitely.

Here is some of the data I have pulled from the Event log entry present when I was receieving Email notices stating an snmp trap was received with a Details stating NOT AVAILABLE :

#Domain Name Server.domain 53/udp
#Domain Name Server.bootps 67/udp

dhcps
#Bootstrap Protocol Server.bootpc 68/udp

dhcpc
#Bootstrap Protocol Client.tftp 69/udp
#Trivial File Transfer.gopher 70/tcp
.finger 79/tcp
.http 80/tcp

www www-http
#World Wide Web.hosts2-ns 81/tcp
#HOSTS2 NameServer.hosts2-ns 81/udp
#HOSTS2 NameServer.kerberos 88/tcp

krb5 kerberos-sec
#Kerberos.kerberos 88/udp

krb5 kerberos-sec
#Kerberos.hostname 101/tcp

hostnames
#NIC Host Name Server.iso-tsap 102/tcp
#ISO-TSAP Class0.rtelnet 107/tcp
#Remote Telnet Service.pop2 109/tcp

postoffice
#PostOffice Protocol-Version2.pop3 110/tcp
#Post Office Protocol -Version3.sunrpc 111/tcp

rpcbind portmap
#SUN Remote Procedure Call.sunrpc 111/udp

rpcbind portmap
#SUN R...WV
CPQTHRSH.HOSTALRT

I do not have many of these services running on the local machine.

When I received an alert email with no Details listed, the Foundation Agent event log event data in the System Event Log listed four processes that were and are running on the machine.

Reviewing: %systemroot%\system32\CpqMgmt\cqmghost\cpqmgmt.chm it appears that the Foundation Agent provides things such as process and service monitoring.  You may be able to disable these two features and the problem may or may not go away (but this is what I'm looking to do).

After some investigation with process monitor, I see that the log entries correlate with cqmghost.exe (the Foundation Agents service) accessing two keys:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CompaqPermanent\

and

HKLM\System\CompaqHost\ 

In my monitoring, both of these seem to be accessed only by cqmghost.exe.

These appear to be a cache of some sort.

I wonder if some sort of issue exists when upgrading directly, without uninstallation first.

I will uninstall the HP Insight Management Agents, delete these keys, then reinstall later.

[update 1]
With the agents uninstalled, and the those keys deleted, the web UI is still populating without issue (since it uses WBEM or SNMP, in my case WBEM) [tested by reviewing sectors read and written on a RAID disk].

cp015760.exe is the file to install the component "HP Insight Management Agents for Windows Server 2003/2008" (taken from %systemdrive%\cpqsystem\hp\log\localhost\hpsum_log.txt)

In the summary of the previous install, I do see that SUM detected the older version of the component:

Component File Name: cp015760.exe
Component Name: HP Insight Management Agents for Windows Server 2003/2008
Original Version: 8.70.0.0
New Version: 9.10.0.0
Installation Result: Success

I ran cp015760.exe solo.

After install a window with manage agents ("C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe" Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL cpqmgmt.cpl /setup) pops up.  Registry keys that were deleted are added again.

I unchecked Enable SNMP sets, noting that polling was set to 2 minutes by default... hmm... since I'm using the WBEM (wmi), and click OK.

A 1182 event is logged in the System Event Log.

Four minutes pass.  No more 1182 events, because there is no more polling...  Enabling polling causes events to be logged.

[Conclusion]

So the problem exists with the SNMP sets that are being polled.  You can access the Management Agents configuration control panel applet by ruhning cpqmgmt.cpl or by accessing "HP Management Agents" from the Control Panel itself.

After this select your minimum usage.  Since I figured out, by reviewing the Data logged in the 1182 events in the System Event Log, that there was at least one of the "Active Agents" that were causing a problem.  I would go through trial and error to figure out which one is causing the issue.  You will note that there is also a "Process Monitor" tab present, so this might be how the processes above were listed.

I began tested removing the Active Agents one-by-one.  Luckily, Host Information (near the top of the list), seemed to be the problem cause.

I removed the Host Information agent from SNMP polling, waited 8 minutes, and only the single "OK" status change was logged (at three minutes).

I then re-added the Host Information agent, waited 3 minutes, saw the "OK" status change again.  Then waited another 3 minutes, received the first status change event (1182, citing CPQTHRSH.HOSTALRT).   It appeared that some processes were listed in the Event Data.  I then waited another 5 minutes and nothing popped up.

The info is sparse, but the issue is clearly related to HOSTALRT, which is found in both events' Data.

For the sake of testing, I unchecked

[tl;dr]

Through  the "HP Management Agents" control panel applet (cpqmgmt.cpl):

1) Try to clear all thresholds on the SNMP Settings tab...

2) If that fails, Try to disable Application Exception Traps...

3) If that fails, remove the Host Information agent from the Active Agents list in the "HP Management Agents" control panel applet.  This clearly stops some polling from occurring, but I can not figure out which OIDs the Host Information Agent polls, or which data will be missing.