108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: False "system is unreachable" events in HP SIM

DFID
Occasional Visitor

False "system is unreachable" events in HP SIM

Hi there

Hope somebody can help with this.

We use HP SIM to monitor the status of our sites / offices worldwide.

We are experiencing a number of "System is unreachable" events on the HP SIM collection. However when these occurr we are able to ping the supposed failed devices without any problem. 

I have tried adjusting the global timeout and retry settings, adjusting the the frequency of the task that generates the events and rediscovering each node within the collection.

We are using version 7.2

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

If you look at the events, are they bursts of outage? You can aslo use port 80 for uptime checks. You could try this, do you know were to set this? 

Kind regards,

Andrew
BrianKelly
Advisor

Restart the HP SIM service. 

I had that issue for a log time.  It took forever to find a solution.  We found another app was causing the proble.

DFID
Occasional Visitor

Hi

Thanks for responding.

It tends to be bursts of 10 plus nodes all showing unreachable at the same time. However we know that the devices are definitley up.

No I'm not familiar with the uptime check.

DFID
Occasional Visitor

Hi Brian

Thanks for replying.

I wasn't actually convinced that HP SIM was the cause of the issue and your post may support my theory.

Can you tell me what the other app was that was causing your issues.

Another thing that I have noticed is that the issue only seems to be happening between 8am - 2pm each day

So I am currently looking into why this would be the case.

BrianKelly
Advisor

We had HP Webjet Admin on the server.  When it polled it was using SNMP and conflicted with SIM.  Until I could nail dow it was Webjet Admin I ran a scheduled task to stop the HP Systems insite Manager service wait 5 minutes and then start it.  As a test I would do a identify to see if SNMP is responding on a server I know should work.