Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748195 Members
3564 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Insight Foundation Agents - service stopping (Windows 2003)

Oliver P Holt

HP Insight Foundation Agents - service stopping (Windows 2003)

I am running HP PSP 7.40a on a DL380 G4 with Windows 2003 (without SP1)

I have numerous other servers, which are supposedly identically configured, that do not exhibit the issue I am about to describe.

The problem initially was that the HP Insight Foundation Agents service would not start and an error saying the following in the applications log:

Faulting application cqmghost.exe, version 7.40.0.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.0, fault address....

I have managed to clear this error by uninstalling the HP Management Agent and then re-installing the PSP. This has possibly cleared the error, i say possibly because I have not seen it recur but should I wait long enough it might.

The problem is now that the service just stops after a short while. If I restart it and wait a bit (seconds to minutes here) it stops again.

I have since uninstalled the service and reinstalled using both the setup and express setup exe's. The issue remains.

I cannot do any of the following:

- Use a more recent release of the PSP.
- Install any MS patches or service packs.

This is because that would require a massive chain of change approvals that would be stopped by someone saying can't we just rebuild the server.

I am pretty confident that rebuilding the server will fix the issue but want to determine what the cause is so that I can figure out how to prevent it occuring in the future.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
Iain Gilbert

I have a similar problem, the only difference is I am running Win2000SP4 on a ProLiant ML370.

If anyone can help please do =)
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

The usual advice is to upgrade to the latest version of the agents, but that doesn't seem to be an easy option for you. You'll probably spend more time trying to identify the particular issue than it would to rebuild the server!
You might want to look at the versions of the ntdll.dll file and see if there's a difference between this and working servers. It may be that some application has changed that file.

If they were different you could look at replacing that file, but that would possibly break any application that had changed it.

RiscOps_Sean

Just checked the ntdll.dll thing and it's the same on both the working and non-working servers.

I know it's been years since anyone posted on this issue but I'm still plugging away on this for one of my Citrix servers. Unfortunately since I only provide 2nd level support and the Citrix team is not as responsive as I'd like it's like pulling teeth.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

What is the hardware and OS platform? You can update the management agent seperatly from the other packages. If it's 2003 the agents from PSP 8.70 should still work.
Kind regards,

Andrew