1752801 Members
5740 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM 5.3 Discovery shows IP number instead of name

jameskrolak
Advisor

City Blue, I would imagine that's happening because SIM has discovered the Onboard Administrator on the C7000 and is getting the blade information from it, not from the servers themselves. You might want to make sure that the IP ranges for the blades and their iLOs is included in your Discovery settings and manually start a Discovery to see if SIM will discover them properly.
City_Blue
Super Advisor

thanks James

but i always thought you could just discover the OA and then it would discover everything else with out a problem.

this is the way we have done all our other c7000 and they have not had an issue.

however i will try your sugestion

thanks
jameskrolak
Advisor

Well, I can't swear that your situation is exactly what I'm picturing, but the OA on the C7000 sees the blades as their serial number IF the iLOs on them aren't configured with the server name. On the iLO, you would find that field in: Administration...Access...Options. I'm pretty sure that the OA relies upon the iLO to get the details on the blades.
jameskrolak
Advisor

Oh, and I should have mentioned: make sure you have the HP agents installed in the OS's of the blades, too, so SIM can talk to them.
Doof
Visitor

Great tip on checking resolution from the SIM server itself.  I ran out of options and said to myself "I can resolve from my workstation and it's the same DNS records (different server) as the SIM server is using" but why not.  Sure thing, the reverse wasn't resolving at the SIM server.  The reverse record was missing from the DNS server that the SIM was pointing to as it wasn't replicating properly with the other servers.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

If your DNS is a mess that won't help making things clearer in SIM certainly if you use ip ranges to discover your objects.
In this case the reverse DNS must be filled. SIM will work but complain about it but that's it.
Kind regards,

Andrew