Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753914 Members
8696 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP SIM 5.3 and ESXi 4.0

scurtis

HP SIM 5.3 and ESXi 4.0

I can not get HP SIM 5.3 to manage my ESXi 4.0 Host.

I am running ESXi 4.0 on a HP ML350. I have used the ESXi 4.0 install image from HP which includes the CIM providers.
I have installed HP SIM 5.3 onto one of the Windows server virtual machines on the ESXi host but I can not get HP SIM to manage the ESXi host.
I have entered all credentials correctly, WBEM is enabled. When the device is being discovered the following information is shown:

Starting identification process...
Checking for known running web servers.
Checking for System Management Home Page and other HP web agents.
The System Management Homepage is not supported on this system.
Checking for WBEM support on system.
This system does not have any SMI-S CIMOM installed
This system doesn't have a server CIMOM installed locally, or cannot connect to it using all credentials specified
Running WBEM rules based identification.
Cannot get ComputerSystem WBEM/WMI data from the system
Running VM Identification.
The system is not a VM Host, or WBEM credentials may not be specified, skipping VM Identification
Running WS-Man identification.
The system did not respond to WS-Management, verify credentials.
Checking for SNMP support on system.
The system did not respond to SNMP, verify security settings and community strings.
Running SNMP base Cluster identification using common cluster MIB.
This was not a system with the common cluster MIBs supported.
Running HP ProLiant management agent identification
The system does not support SNMP.
Running HP NetServer identification.
Running HP-UX SNMP identification.
Running SNMP System Type Manager identification.
Checking for DMI protocol support.
The system does not have Windows DMI support.
Running DMI System Type Manager identification.
Running HP-UX DMI identification.
The system does not have HP-UX DMI support.
Running HP/Compaq Desktop identification.
Running HP DMI Desktop identification.
The system does not have HP DMI Desktop support.
Running Generic DMI identification.
The system does not have Generic DMI support.
Running SSH Protocol identification.
The SSH protocol is not supported on this system
Running SSH Identification.
SSH Protocol is not detected; skipped SSH Identification
Running Storage identification.
Did not detect WBEM support on this system. Will not attempt storage identification. If this is a storage host, check WBEM credentials and make sure the providers and CIMOM are operational on the host.
Storage identification completed.
Running HP Service Guard Identification.
Running SNMP Subtypes identification
Create bare-metal device nodes if OA is discovered with "Automatic Device discovery" option enabled.
Create bare-metal server node if ILO is discovered with "Automatic Server discovery" option enabled.
Checking if this system is supported by Insight Power Manager.
Insight Power Manager is not supported.
Running VM identification.
VMM Integration is not enabled, skipping VM Identification
System Passes the discovery filter, system will be added.
Building system relationships.
Running limited data collection for common attribute.
The system does not have SMH or SSO support.
Running node communication diagnosis
System identification done with this system.

Is there something I am missing? The above logs show that HP SIM can not communicate using WBEM and does not see the Host as an ESXi device. The build version on my ESXi server is Build 164009. I applied some patches using VM Update Manager and this brought it to Build 175625, but I've heard the updates can "undo" the HP CIM Providers. So I ran a repair using the HP ESXi image to return to build 164009. My HP SIM is 5.3 with SP1.
4 REPLIES 4
cookieme

I have an HP Proliant ML350 G4p. I am experimenting with VMware ESXi and I need help with hardware monitoring. I have spent countless hours searching for answers online and asking questions on VMware's forums, but so far no acceptable answers, so I'm hoping for help here. Below is a very detailed account of everything I have tried, so please look through it to understand the issues I am facing and what I need help with.

I have installed ESXi 4 from HP with the CIM providers. However, I get very little health information with the vClient (see image1), which I guess is due to my HP server not being listed on the HCL. I have also tried ESXi 3.5 U4 (HP image), but the only difference is that I can monitor "memory", which is oddly absent from ESXi 4 (see image2).

Q1: Does anyone use ESXi 3.5 or 4 on the same server, i.e. ML350 G4p and if so what hardware can you monitor?

Q2: Why is "memory" absent from ESXi 4 and can I do anything to add it?

So, I have installed HP Systems Insight Manager 5.3 SP1 (with hotfix update kit) on a physical computer. However, I'm not getting any sensor information apart from overall health (see image3). Moreover, when I click on "Properties" I get a new window with the following message:

Properties: 192.168.1.3

Property Pages are unavailable for this managed system.

Cause: Property Pages may not be defined for this
Operating System type or the system may be acting as a
WBEM storage proxy and has not had the native CIMOM
identified.

Resolution: Check the SIM release notes for supported
operating systems. For systems running as a storage
proxy, enter credentials for the native (non-proxy) WBEM
CIMOM on this managed system and re-identify the system.

Q3: I have tried the troubleshooting steps in the HP document (attached), but I still get this message. Why? Should I not see more information about the hardware when using HP SIM since it is communicating with those HP CIM providers on the ESXi host rather than using the vClient communicating with the VMware CIM providers?

Summary:

There seems to be a lack of documentation or should I say what is available is not very clear on how to monitor an HP server and what information one should be able to monitor. If neglecting virtualisation and installing a Windows Server OS using SmartStart as I have done in the past, I am able to monitor everything using the HP System Managment Homepage on the local server. HP does not allow the installation of SmartStart, Proliant Support Pack (PSP) or any of their other tools on a virtual machine.

SO, on HP hardware whether supported or not one needs to use HP Systems Insight Manager to get all the hardware information, as the vClient will only provide a subset (this according to the attached HP document).

I am confused with regards to the hardware monitoring of my ESXi host. I know it is not on the HCL, but surely if when I was running Windows 2003 Server with the HP Proliant Support Pack I was able to monitor the hardware, I must be able to do the same even if HP SIM is overkill in comparison to the PSP utilites.

If anyone has HP and ESXi experience, I would appreciate any help on this matter. I am still testing and learning the ins and outs of ESXi, so most of this is very new.

Thanks for your attention!
RFA Service Desk

I am having the same issue icluding not finding any documentation. Any help would be very appreciated.
is HP listening?
Clarke Hotton
Occasional Visitor

Sorry for the late reply. Scurtis no longer works for me, but we did get a solution. Basically the ESXi has basic monitoring, Disks and PSU and Ram. If you want email notifications you need to install veeam http://www.veeam.com/esxi-monitoring-free.html
It works on a standalone PC and monitors the VMware ESXi and will email you if the status in the Vmware ESXi changes via email
fmash
Advisor

Are you using Virtual Center to manage your ESXi servers? The only acceptable solution I have found so far is to use Virtual Center to monitor the ESXi servers. For alerts, configure VC to either send traps to the SIM, or use the built in email capability of VC to send your alerts out. You can configure the individual ESX servers to report directly to the SIM but I've found it does monitor much at all.