1753683 Members
5695 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP SIM 5.3 trap issue

CTSolutions_LLC
Visitor

HP SIM 5.3 trap issue

I have HP SIM 5.3 SP1 installed. Using Network Monitor I can confirm that SNMP traps are being sent from the monitored system, to UDP 162, using SNMP v1. I've confirmed the only service listening on UDP 162 is snmp.exe process. Community strings are correct and I've confirmed event filter settings allow to receive from * and all boxes on that page are checked.

I can't seem to get HP SIM to show anything except local machine authentication traps and PING polling status. When I view all events no SNMP trap events show up. Obviously I need to know when hardware failures send the traps.

I've confirmed the Dell MIBs I need to use are compiled and recognized.

How can I determine why the traps are not showing up in HP SIM?

7 REPLIES 7
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SIM 5.3 trap issue

Hello there,

Perhaps you should update Sim. The latest version in 7.2.2 so your a bit behind. If you only have Dell servers you could consider Dell Openmanage. Or if you have a mixed server park you should stick with SIM but do a update first.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew
CTSolutions_LLC
Visitor

This is being hosted on a Windows XP 32-bit workstation so I don't want to move to newer versions. This should be able to work, so I don't understand why installing a new version should be required. I do apprecaite your input.

Does anyone else have other ideas?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

So snmp is working, is the snmp trap service also running? (SNMPTRAP.EXE)

Or the windows firewall is blocking the trap ?

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew
J_N_Rhodes
Valued Contributor

Pls refer the HP SIM - Support Matrix
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/supportmatrix.html

v5.3 SP1 is already on HP SIM EOS list

You should think of upgrading your SIM environment

If my post was useful, please clik on "White Star" to award me kudos :)

CTSolutions_LLC
Visitor

Windows Firewall is disabled by domain policy and I've confirmed it is not running. Network Monitor captures on the HP SIM server show the traps are being received by the server.

CTSolutions_LLC
Visitor

I will go ahead and find the most recent version which is supported on Windows XP and give it a go.

CTSolutions_LLC
Visitor

Apparently no later versions support XP, so I don't know why there were suggestions to try installing a newer version, but I appreciate the suggestions nevertheless.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions to actually get this working.