New Discussion

HP SIM 7.1 and VCRM on Virtual Machine

SOLVED
Go to solution
Duckfather
Frequent Advisor

HP SIM 7.1 and VCRM on Virtual Machine

Hi all

I've just installed HP SIM 7.1 on a VM running Windows Server 2008 R2. Although this runs fine, it cannot see the VCRM, which is sat on the same VM.

I've setup a trust between the SMH and HP SIM ok and it also has credentials with high enough permissions. I've even uploaded the latest SPP into it, but HP SIM stubbornly refuses to acknowledge that the VCRM is there.

I've read most of the various other threads on here about VCRM connectivity, and none of those solutions has worked.

Does anyone have any pointers?

Cheers in advance

Andy

8 REPLIES 8
Buggsy
Advisor

Re: HP SIM 7.1 and VCRM on Virtual Machine

If you look up your SIM server within SIM, under the Tools & Links section, do you see the "HP Version Control Repository Manager" link?

Duckfather
Frequent Advisor

Nope. It's never discovered during the Identification process.

Buggsy
Advisor

Try and make an individual discoery for just the VCRM server, run it an see what it says. You might have to clear your discovery filters to get it. A lot of people, like myself, have checked the box to not discover virual machines, or have it in the exclusion list.

Duckfather
Frequent Advisor

Identification of the HP SIM VM returns an error communicating using WBEM.

The detected management protocols include WBEM 1.0 according to HP SIM. It also has credentials with full administrative rights and there is a trust setup between the VCRM and HP SIM

I've attempted to install the latest WBEM providers, but they refuse to install as the installer detects a virtualised environment and says that this isn't currently supported.

Attached is a screencap of the product Description fields from this HP SIM VM showing the detected management protocols

Buggsy
Advisor

WBEM isn't a deal breaker for detecting it. Can you post the full results from the discovery?

In the mean time, make sure SNMP is installed on both machines, and that SIM has the correct read string(s) set up in the security settings. I've found that getting WBEM to work most of the time is an excersize in frustration. I use SNMP for almost everything and it works great.

You also might need to change the System Management Home Page to use SNMP as its datasource.

Within the SMH, it's Settings>Select SMH Data Source> then change it to SNMP if it's not already.

Duckfather
Frequent Advisor

Hmmm, that's wierd.

SNMP is setup and correctly configured on this VM, but the SMH doesn't seem to be communicating with it. The Data Source is empty and there are no options available to set / change the data source.

That would explain the inability to detect the VCRM then, but I have no idea why neither SNMP or WBEM is being detected by the SMH!

Edit : I've just noticed that the following services have not been installed on the VM :-

HP Insight Event Notifier

HP Insight Foundation Agents

HP Insight NIC Agents

HP Insight Server Agents

HP Insight Storage Agents

I'm assuming that these got skipped by the install due to it detecting a virtualised environment?

Buggsy
Advisor

I think you're on the right track. Try upgradeing, or downgrading the SMH. I've heard of that happening after people update. I've seen it on a very old server where no version of SMH worked.

You can always remove SNMP and reinstall it too, but something is wrong with SMH. It should know that it's a VM. Do you have the lastest version of the tools installed? Is this VMWare, or something else?

Duckfather
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Ok, I've fixed the problem :-)

It turned out to be  a two fold issue :-

The following two services wouldn't start automatically :-

Pegasus WMI Mapper

Pegasus WMIMapper Indications Service

These were set to start using two accounts which don't even exist on this server. I changed these to run under the Local System Account and they started fine.

The other issue was that, for some reason, the WMI Mapper Proxy in HP SIM was set to a server which also didn't exist. I pointed this to the local server.

When the above two issues were fixed, I did an Identification job and, hey presto, we now have a recognised VCRM :-)

I have no idea why the HP SIM install has set these incorrectly, but that's certainly something to watch out for. Also, I didn't realise how tied into the VCRM the WMI Mapper services were. You live and learn :-)

Thanks for the help guys. You kept me going in the right direction :-)