1752402 Members
5623 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP SIM 7.4 doesn't detect agent software status

MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

HP SIM 7.4 doesn't detect agent software status

New SIM 7.4 installation, I retired the 6.3 CMS.  On each managed server I updated SNMP targets, replaced the old server's Trusted Management server's certificate with the new.  I replaced and authenticated the VCA with username/passwor to th e new VCRM, on the new CMS.  The VCA authenticates, saves the settings of the new CMS, and updates its inventory, and I can run updates.  So the VCA is communicating.  But the CMS still shows a question mark on Software Status for all the managed servers.  When I run Configure/Repair on a managed server I get this:

Configure Version Control Agent ..................................... [FAILED]
Either VCA agent is not installed in target node or Check the credentials you en
tered for the VCA to use to access the VCRM. For security reasons, the VCA canno
t connect to the VCRM using the default 'Administrator' user. For more informati
on, refer to the Version Control Agent documentation.

What does the CMS need to be able to run the VCA on the managed server?

31 REPLIES 31
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

You have to configure your baselines from SIM internal. This is one of the major changes in SIM 7.x. HP is moving away from the VCA and uses HP SUM for deployment. But for this moment we still use the VCA but you have to configure the baselines in SIM. Here is how. Log into SIM choose Deploy > Software/ Firmware Baselines > Manage Software/Firmware Baselines. If you get a red screen saying that you have to configure a default Version Control Repository select the right option on the same screen to select the VCRM server (most of the time the SIM server). You do need a trust with the VCRM server but that should not be a problem. Now that you have a VCRM selected you should see the Baselines toy uploaded to the VCRM. Now you can choose to add Systems to the baselines that you have.

You can use collections to set the servers to the baselines as long as you selected the servers in the baseline you selected. Click on save, wait one minute to see that the Assigned Systems field gets filled.

Kind regards,

Andrew
MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

I got into Manager Software/FIrmware Baselines; selected the Proliant Support pack 8.70, which my 2003 servers are using now in VCA; then Add Systems; selected All Servers and view Contents.  I selected the 2003 servers, then Apply.  I don't see the View Assigned Systems button turn from grey to blue, like it is active.  But I do see the servers under "Assigned Systems" in the Known Baselines line for my selected support pack.  But still, when I go back to All Servers in the System and Event Collections frame I get question mark in the SW column for evey server, including those 2003 servers I included in the Baseline. I press one's question mark and it brings up the Track Software and Firmware Version frame, but it has no info in it. Is the VCRM still not geting some info it should from the managed servers?    

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

If you look at the server and select the baseline tab does it say that there is a baseline assigned?

if you can can you paste a screenshot of the server baseline tab and of the baselines where you added the servers to a baseline?

Kind regards,

Andrew
MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

It shows me now the servers with that baseline, and installed versions, but still quetion marks for status.  I haven't manaaged to do a paste, but I'll attach a pcture of the Manage Software/Firmware Baselines and the Isntalled Software and Firmware on one server.

Right now the SIM seems to be hung.  I can get the hand to show up over any tab and press, but nothing happens.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

If you select one server and click on report>new report, now click on general do you see software information for your server? It looks like you don't have firmware/software info for your server(s). Also do you have credentials for your discovered servers.if you look at the System Management Homepage of one of your servers does this page show server info like software and or type?

Kind regards,

Andrew
MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

In System Insight manager on the CMS I can list all servers.  I see a variety of status symbols for HS, MP, ES, but under SW it's all question marks.  I can select one of the servers, its Software Status has the question mark.  But i can open its System management Homepage successfully (from the CMS console), including the Version Control Agent Showing all its details - repository, Installed / Support pack / Latest Version - just as if I was at the managed server console opening System Management Homepage.  So it looks like for the most part the communication is happening between managed server and CMS, just whatever it is to keep the CMS current on software status isn't happening.

I don't have the 2008 servers assigned to a baseline yet they are using SPP 2014.06 I think.  I'll get them assigned.   

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

There is no link between the baseline configured in the VCA on the monitored servers and the Software status in SIM. The software status in SIM  has to be configured from within SIM itself. HP is stopping it's VCA support so the baseline is not configured in the Monitored server though it still works. SIM's deployment is going to be done using HP SUM in favour of VCA. This is a change since the 7.x version of SIM. 

Kind regards,

Andrew
MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

I get into Deploy \ Software/Firmware Baselines \ manage Baselines and track Versions.  I assign servers to a baseline.  I View Assigned Systems, and see my assigned servers listed.  I found a World of Insight article "HPSIM7:Setting Baselines and Software Status" which says " Select your baseline and save it. Once you Save it you’ll be presented with a Software Status indicated by the tradition HPSIM icons. It is possible that you may have to run a Data Collection and/or Software Status Poll if you don’t get the status from the refresh. Data Collection collects the inventory and the status poll inventories, compares and calculates against the data collected and the designated baseline in the HPSIM database."  I ran both Data Collection and Software Status Poll on a server, both tasks said they ran successfully.  I still get the Question Mark "Unknown" under its Software Status. 

MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

I have seen that in VCRM I have several "invalid support packs", including one I have assigned systems to.  Could this be causing the Softwre Status problem, so that I should clean it up first.  I've now removed system assignments to that support pack, reassigned to a good support pack, rerun Data Collection and Software Status Poll and still see question mark on the Track Software and Firmware Versions page.