1753828 Members
8747 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP SIM 7.4 doesn't detect agent software status

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

In the screen you got the error you can select the repository in the right corner. This seems strsnge but seems to help sometimes. The config in SIM has no link with the VCA. The VCA connects to the VCRM the baselines in SIM are collected from the VCRM. That's the only link they have.

Kind regards,

Andrew
MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

I've selected and OK'd several times the one repository.  I've "configured" several times to check the trust certificate.  i still get "Error retrieving repository.  Ensure the Version Control Repository Manager (VCRM) is installed and running, etc, etc."  This while within the SMH on the CMS/VCRM server I see and can manage the repository; and while the VCA on every managed server can acces the repository, select a baseline, update its contents; just like the old days.  So it seems to me not a problem with the Repository, but a problem with the method the SIM uses to access the repository.  Soemthing is confiugred badly or not at all, but I've no clue what that is.  Everything I try (Deploy \ manage Baseline; Configure \ repair Agents; Options \ Software/Firmware \ Version Control Repository) tell s me something is wrong with the repository.  There is one repository, is that correct?  Should SIM be finding the one repository that the SMH and VCA find?

MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

I've selected and OK'd several times the one repository.  I've "configured" several times to check the trust certificate.  i still get "Error retrieving repository.  Ensure the Version Control Repository Manager (VCRM) is installed and running, etc, etc."  This while within the SMH on the CMS/VCRM server I see and can manage the repository; and while the VCA on every managed server can acces the repository, select a baseline, update its contents; just like the old days.  So it seems to me not a problem with the Repository, but a problem with the method the SIM uses to access the repository.  Soemthing is confiugred badly or not at all, but I've no clue what that is.  Everything I try (Deploy \ manage Baseline; Configure \ repair Agents; Options \ Software/Firmware \ Version Control Repository) tell s me something is wrong with the repository.  There is one repository, is that correct?  Should SIM be finding the one repository that the SMH and VCA find?

This is I see a step backwards.  At the beginning of this thread I was seeing and configuring the baselines, but failing to get Software Status at the SIM.  Now no software status, no baseilnes.

Server-Support
Super Advisor

ok, so is this a well known bug or just a misconfiguration error ?

Best regards,
MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

I thought I had progress.  I had the CMS run an install/configure VCA on a new server, and got HP SUM claiming to run:

Waiting for the required components to be located and copied..
Installing  HP Version Control Agent for Windows ( 7.3.3.0) using component  cp0
23743.exe.
Installing  HP System Management Homepage for Windows ( 7.4.0.12) using componen
t  cp022466.exe.
Install Return Status: [SKIPPED, HP SUM did not proceed with the installation ei
ther because one or more components are already up-to-date or are not valid for
the selected system]

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//  HP Smart Update Manager for Node 10.1.5.51 Started: Tue Jan 13 2015 13:33:58
//  HPSUM Version: 7.1.0."18".25197.x64
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Inventory started
Inventory completed

Analysis started
Analysis completed

Analysis started
Analysis completed

Deployment started
Deployment completed

Deployed Components:

Node 10.1.5.51 is up to date, no updates were needed or nothing was installed be
fore exiting.

//  Exit Code for Node 10.1.5.51: 3
//  HP Smart Update Manager for Node 10.1.5.51 Finished Tue Jan 13 2015 13:34:30
WINDOWS_HPSUM_INSTALL_NOTE,C:\cpqsystem\hp\log\10.1.5.51
1) hpsum_log.txt for brief summary of the installation activity.
2) hpsum_detail_log.txt for installation details, including errors, for each com
ponent installed.

Install Agent .......................................................[SUCCESS]

like it was finally communicating.  in Deploy \ Manage Softare/FIrmware Baselines it shows me the baselines I've defined, and which systems are in which baseline.   But I pick that server that just got good results from HP SUM and do Deploy \ Track Software and Firmware Versions, I get a question mark and a column of installed Version of all installed stuff, but the Support pack Version and Latest Version columns are empty.  So I'm still stuck at the beginning, which is:

The VCA on the managed server connects to the VCRM on he CMS, shows me the updates, lets me run them, as always;

But the VCRM with its baselines, that is supposed to be taking over the tracking and installing, doesn't show me what's on the managed server.  

MC Murphy
Frequent Advisor

You said way back up there that HP SUM was taking over from VCA for managed server updates.  Should it be installed on the CMS?  DOes it need configuring?   I don't see SUM anywhere in the SIM installation guide.  I'm going to attach a document of screenshots, where Manage Communications tells me there is no VCA configured on my target.  Then a Quick Repair \ install and configure VCA, reports it has succeeded.  Then Manage Communications on the same target repeats the exact message, that there is no VCA configured on that target.  On an earlier attempt I removed the VCA from the target, let the Quick Repair do a new install and configure, which it did successfully, but then failed to use what it had installed and configured.  Where is some information on the use of HP SUM on this new HP SIM 7.4?

DARMU

I have definitely the same problem.

I've been fighting with this for couple of months. Still no results.

"Software Status" has question mark all the time for all servers. I installed two new HP SIMs on different machines - observe the same manner of HP SIM 7.4 version and latest SMH and VCA and VRM.

Of course, from server side VCA works fine - I can upgrade firmware without problems using VCA and VRM.

mansch

The same issue! Have anyone solved it??

Server-Support
Super Advisor

Yes, me too.

If anyone can confirm HP SIM v7.5 can work well, please post the steps here.

Cheers,

AL

Best regards,
Ventdorphine
Occasional Visitor

Same behavior with "Systems Insight Manager 7.5.0 - Windows  Build version:  C.07.05.00.00r75rc01 "

This SW ? status drives me nuts ! At one point everything was ok and one morning started to have severals blue ? for SW on multiple servers.

It seems that HP do not really know how to fix this.

I am running SIM for several years. 6.X and 7.0,1,2,3,4 and now 5 and this blue ? question mark as always been and issue.

Not reliable.