Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753962 Members
7380 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

HP SIM 7.5 - how to confirm wbem, snmp protocols for monitoring for esxi 5.5 ?? totally confused...

mazukic
Advisor

HP SIM 7.5 - how to confirm wbem, snmp protocols for monitoring for esxi 5.5 ?? totally confused...

heya

as the topic states im trying to setup monitoring for our esxi hosts and servers in HP SIM 7.5

i feel ive entered in the credentials correctly, snmp community (read and trap) are setup within  ILO. Do these have to be set on the esxi host as well?
root login details entered in correctly.

the host that im trying to add is on the same domain as the hpsim server.

the host has amsHelper enabled.

/etc/init.d/hp-ams.sh status
amsHelper is running.

when i do a discovery i get this major error

********* Significant issues and overall target discovery/identification
Major: The system cannot be identified properly for HP SIM to manage;
unable to get one or more of the following: model, serial number or
unique identifier (UUID). For management processors, verify the
system is running the latest firmware. For Linux based operating
systems, you must have dmidecode installed, enable the
PermitRootLogin and PasswordAuthentication in sshd, and use root
sign-in credential. For HP-UX, verify the sign-in credential. For
Windows, check if WMIMapper is configured correctly on the CMS and
verify the sign-in credential.

The host will be added to HP SIM and i can see it, but all i can see in health status is PING
nothing else...

the documentation for hp sim is terrible and i cant find a straight answer as to how to setup monitoring for our hosts and servers.

im starting to tear my hair out as im not sure where to go from here.

how do i configure the hosts for snmp and wbem?

from a networking perspective i checked with the networking guys and they say that all ports are open with the networks so there shouldnt be any firewalls blocking snmp traps etc.

can somebody who knows hp sim guide me in the right direction?

appreciate any help i can get!

thanks

10 REPLIES 10
mazukic
Advisor

Re: HP SIM 7.5 - how to confirm wbem, snmp protocols for monitoring for esxi 5.5 ?? totally confused

following these instructions here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH-dDHCXXaA

i was able to setup snmp and it looks like it worked.. but still cant see any details in HP SIM 
when i click on the host it doesnt know the system type and doesnt really show anything.. 

do i need to enable WBEM as well?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: HP SIM 7.5 - how to confirm wbem, snmp protocols for monitoring for esxi 5.5 ?? totally confused

Hello,

What is the hardware in teems of generation ? Gen 7 or lower or gen 8 or newer?
Kind regards,

Andrew
mazukic
Advisor

we have the following

BL460c G7
BL460c G8
DL360p G8

weve also got some cisco UCS servers

B200M2
i believe we are getting some M4s soon as well...

thanks

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

For gen8 and higher you also need to configure the ILO for AMS monitoring and datacollection, AMS stands for Agrntless Management Service. For older generations you need the snmpd, snmp agents and Systrm managrment homepage.

The snmpd can be the net-snmp package,you need to configure snmp to let SIM access it, do you know how to do this?

For the AMS you only need the ams service and also the settings in the ILO like ams on, snmp community and destination.

Kind regards,

Andrew
mazukic
Advisor

well ive managed to enable snmp 1.0 on one of the DL360p Gen8 esxi hosts as i can see it in HP SIM now.. i assume its setup correctly.
snmp1.JPG

within ILO i have the following

snmp2.JPG

on the esxi host

~ # esxcli system snmp get
Authentication:
Communities: <name>
Enable: true
Engineid: 00000063000000a100000000
Hwsrc: indications
Largestorage: true
Loglevel: info
Notraps:
Port: 161
Privacy:
Remoteusers:
Syscontact:
Syslocation:
Targets: <server>@161 <community name>
Users:
V3targets:

am i on the right track?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

For a Gen8 server you need to get all info from the ILO only. This means no running wbem or snmp on the ESX host only AMS. Please delete the server and ILO and only discover the ILO. The datacollection should add the server and the info like hardware and firmware levels should be collected by the ILO datacollection and added to the server. Be sure there is no snmp or wbem running on the host. After a while the systrm status should be polled and added to the servers status. If your server remains a serial the AMS software is not installed.

So to go short check snmp and wbem and uninstall if needed, delete server and ilo and rediscover only the ILO. This should work for all Gen8 and newer. By the way ILO seems go be setup exept for the trap source identifier, you should set this to servername instead of ILO name otherwise you will receive errors on your ILO instead of the server in case of lets say a broken disk.

Kind regards,

Andrew
mazukic
Advisor

ok thanks for the info... ive been making some progress with this all and starting to understand how it all works. I will test run what you suggested and see what happens.

so youre saying only ILO... curious... what would ssh in the discovery be used for?

I have added some ilo ips into the system previously and ive noticed that a lot of data is collected.. but possibly not all
we have a host with a degraded fan but its not showing up in hp sim... as you can see in the attachment there is no fan  in health status... any ideas why?

also the preferred system name and network name are showing up as IP.. .but im pretty sure thats DNS related. I will sort that out later.

mazukic
Advisor

as you can see in this attachment... ive got a host thats sitting on the correct domain and is showing the preferred system name and network name (sorry had to remove the names, but they are there!)

also note that there are more items under health status.

and... ssh is enabled

does ssh provide more items under health status?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

Ssh is not needed for pure monitoring, only is you want to run tools! I've even got ssh globaly disabled as i don't need it for monitoring. If i'm not mistaken ssh is disabled by default on an ESX server?

From a security point of view ILO4 is better as you don't need any OS credentials.

Kind regards,

Andrew