1751974 Members
4668 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP SIM 7.5 on SQL 2008 R2 SP3

Subby26
Frequent Visitor

HP SIM 7.5 on SQL 2008 R2 SP3

Hi.  Currently using HP SIM 7.2 on SQL 2008 R2 SP3.  Want to update to 7.5.  Will it work on this version of SQL as I only see 2012 and 2014 in the release notes?  Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

I would use the recomended version of the database, if your setup does not allow an upgrade of your SQL server you can also use the SQL light version packed with the installer.

Sure you can ignore the warning during install but when you run into issues this will be the first thing people and HP will point to.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Subby26
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Andrew

What happens to the existing SQL database if I use SQL light version packed with the installer?  Will I have to start all over again with discoveries etc etc?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Is the current sql also on the SIM server and was it a part of the initial SIM setup or is this a seperate full or express installation of SQL?

If you update an existing setup you will keep the content of the database. If you switch from a remote 2008 SQL to a local express bundeld with the 7.5 SIM package you could try to import the database to the new SQL but re running the discovery should not be a big challenge.

If you would like to leave the data intact you would need to move the database first and then reconfigure SIM to use the new database location and then run the 7.5 update. If you need more info on the reconfigure tool let me know.

Kind regards,

Andrew
CLiMATiCS

Can you simply move the DB from an SQL 2008 R2 DB to a SQL 2014 Server and then point the odbc connection there and upgrade then to 7.5 or so you need to export the DB first with the HP Insight manager tools? 

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

You could try to move the database and edit the config files in the config die in SIM. Do you know wich files to edit?

I'm not a SQL expert so i'm not sure, when changing the servername don't forget the portnumber for the new SQL.
Kind regards,

Andrew