New Discussion

HP SIM environment for windows systems.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Taixing
Occasional Visitor

HP SIM environment for windows systems.

Hi forums member

I'm getting confused about SIM installation.

when i refer to the SIM user guide(HP Systems Insight Manager 7.4 User Guide), there are said 

• HP SIM must be running on a Windows CMS that is a member of a Windows domain. The

browsing system must be a member of the same domain.

• The HP SIM service account must be a domain account; local accounts can not be used.

I wonder why that SIM(CMS) must be running on domain enviroment?

currently i've ProLiant DL380 Gen9 running with windows Hyper-V(win2012 R2), and 5 virtual windows server were running on this Hyper-V. (1 DC, 4 windows server VM). and Hyper-V is not member of any domain.

here is my questions:

1) in above case, can I install SIM(CMS) on that Hyper-v OS, and manage those 5 VMs? 

2) if 1) is not possibole, then what's the best solution for above architecture?

any advise would be highly appreciated!

thank you and regards,

Taixing

8 REPLIES 8
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP SIM environment for windows systems.

Hello!

You don't need domain credentials for installation. But when you want to discover windows servers an account that has admin rights during initial discovery and repairs is quite handy. I also use sim across 4 or more domains. So for discovery you would need an account thwt has rights on all servers.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Taixing
Occasional Visitor

Hi Andrew

thank you so much for your reply!

do you mean that I can install SIM(CMS) in non-domain(workgroup) windows node? and the targeted monitoring system nodes can be in domain enviroment? if I have same local admin right for discover thoese nodes

thank you and regards,

Taixing

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Yes,

You can have a SIM server in a management network and servers in an other network(s).

Kind regards,

Andrew
Taixing
Occasional Visitor

Hi andrew,

thanks for your confirmation.

ok, that meant document was wrong...

by the way, in one domain enviroment, can I have two SIM(CMS)?

because I have two ProLiant DL380 Gen9 resided in two different Data center, and i want use SIM to mornitoring each other by cross-reference.

* each ProLiant DL380 Gen9 has 1DC(domain controller) and 4 Windows VMs. and they all are belong to same domain.

however ProLiant DL380 Gen9 is under workgroup.

thank you and regards,

Taixing

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

The document is a bit rigid! It's easier with one domain and one crededials set but you can work around that. You can have more than one sim server you can configure the servers to send events to more than one sim server. But way would you have two sim servers for a small environment ?
Kind regards,

Andrew
Taixing
Occasional Visitor

Hi andrew

thanks a lot for your reply!

>The document is a bit rigid! It's easier with one domain and one crededials set but you can work around that.

workgroup account for SIM is workaroud solution or it was supported by HP formally and can get technical support when I have problem with this solution??

>But way would you have two sim servers for a small environment ?

yes, the enviroment is small, only two HW but they are resided in two dadacenters. and there is no 3rd resource(server/network) can be act as SIM(CMS). so, i have to monitoring each other by coross-reference for datacenter's disaster case.

which mean, datacenter1 has SIM-A, and this SIM-A need mornitoring datacenter2.  conversely datacenter2 has SIM-B, and this SIM-B need mornitoring datacenter1.

---------------------------------------------------

thank  you and regards,

Taixing

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

I've never had any issues but then again you should ask HP about their policies. You can also configure both hardware systems to email you in case of errors.
Kind regards,

Andrew
Eynetech

We are trying to install HP SIM to a Hyper-V host machine. SQL server 2008 is already installed on it. While installing HP SIM, it asks for SQL database credentials. After entering database credentials (tried both sa and windows auth), it is showing as "specified database credentials are not valid".

Installed new SSMS and we are able to login to SSMS with both sa and windows authentication.

Created new local admin user and tried with that user, still the same result.

Please get back to me on this .