Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752794 Members
5667 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

HP SIM - forward DNS lookups after initial discovery?

upAndup448768
Frequent Advisor

HP SIM - forward DNS lookups after initial discovery?

It seems like HP SIM only performs forward DNS lookups for the initial discovery of an iLO?  It doesn't appear to perform forward DNS lookups after a system has been discovered to check for IP address changes. 

Running HP SIM 7.5 with latest hotfix on Windows 2012 R2.

I have successfully discovered an iLO using its DNS name using HP-SIM. (actually I made an entry in the hosts file on the HP SIM server).

If I then change the hosts entry for the iLO name to point at a different IP addresss, HP SIM does not seem to pick up the change.

I am choosing "Quick Launch -> Identify Systems..." while viewing the entry for my iLO in my attempt to have HP SIM pick up the change.

A Wireshark capture shows HP SIM still communicating with the old IP address and not with the new IP.

Is this expected behavior?  I would expect HP SIM to re-resolve the DNS name of my iLO when I kick off an "Identify Systems..." task.

3 REPLIES 3
n0kia
Valued Contributor

Re: HP SIM - forward DNS lookups after initial discovery?

Try flushing the local dns cache

upAndup448768
Frequent Advisor

ipconfig /flushdns and rebooting the HP SIM server did not make a difference. 

upAndup448768
Frequent Advisor

Another interesting data point.   I am using Agentless Monitoring (so only connecting to the iLO).

I had previously discovered an iLO and retrieved the associated Windows  OS name of the server.   Since then the server name was changed and one of its two IP addresses was removed.    

HP SIM is still showing the old Windows OS name and both IP addresses.  Even after I visit the iLO node and click "Quick Launch -> Identify Systems..."

I would expect that Agentless Monitoring would have HP SIM re-query the SNMP OS Name and associated IP addresses from the iLO.  

Deleting the server entry from HP SIM and visiting relevant iLO node and clicking "Quick Launch -> Identify Systems..." results in correct data showing up for the server, but I feel like HP SIM should have picked up the changed info automatically.