108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP VCRM setup

SOLVED
Go to solution
lakshmana1
Frequent Advisor

HP VCRM setup

Hi, I'm planning to create a new version control repository, deploy the version control agent to all HP servers and create the process for using it to update the server going forward. I want to test the HP VCRM (HP version control repository manager) setup in testing environment first. Could someone gsuggest the following. Software and hardware to be used with version,spec's List of tasks with configuration steps need to be performed as part of testing/production. Would like to implement in production environment based on test results. Regards, Lakshmana
67 REPLIES 67
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

If you like you can use the VCRM and VCA but HP. Has a new tool to update your servers called HP SUM. This tool can load a SPP and can update one or a range of servers.

You can still use VCRM and VCA if you like, please state your preference and wich you would like explained.
Kind regards,

Andrew
lakshmana1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Andrew, Thank you for the response.Goal of the whole activity is to keep the firmware on the HP servers up to date.In order to accomplish this, would like to go with version control repository manager(VCRM) and version control agent(VCA).Which are part of HP System Insight Manager (SIM) I think. Regards, Lakshmana
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello, Based on the information i have you could install SIM and VCRM on either a hardware or virtual server depending on the size of your platform. You need to have HP agents installed on all your HP servers and credentials to read the state of your servers. Depending on the OS this could be WIndows Domain or local admin root or root like rights voor ESX and SNMP read rights for Linux based OS. If there are firewall you need the following ports open from SIM/VCRM to Managed systems : 161,2301,2381, 5989,80.443. From the Managed servers to your SIM/VCRM : 162,2301,2381,280. For more info, specific what you want to know reply to this message.
Kind regards,

Andrew
lakshmana1
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for the reply with port details.Here is the plan. Install VCRM,SIM,SMH on a new VM(vmware) running Windows server 2012 R2 from HP Insight Management DVD. Install VCA on other (may be 2 or 3 for testing) VM's and physical servers. Will open the mentioned ports in FW. I think repository need to be configured. Let me know pls, if some thing missing/any thing else req'd here...
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

If you install the VCRM, you can ether activate the automatic download from HP or you can disable this option and download a SPP manualy and unpack the SPP in the repository directory. But to be more direct, what info do you need? If i know what you need to know i can give more direct answers.
Kind regards,

Andrew
lakshmana1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Andrew. I just need step by step procedure to test the whole VCRM setup. Do you have any document for the same? am likely to start the work in a day or two.
SvilenSul
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I would like to use that topic also to ask my questions, hope the creator doesn`t mind. My quesions:

1) How SIM knows if it has to use HP SUM or VCA?

2) What are the options if there are multiple physical locations with no so good connection between them? Multiple SIMs,

mutliple VCRMs, anything else?

3) Is it possible different servers to use baselines from different VCRMs in a single SIM instance? Because you have to select default VCRM that HP SIM will use, that makes me thing that it`s not possible.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

You can instruct SIM to push the updates using VCA or without VCA, in the second case it would use HP SUM as it will push the HP install to the server. You can have multible VCRMs but you can indead select only one VCRM in SIM. When you configure the VCA on the destination server you can have one server poiting to one VCRM and an other to moe other VCRM server. The easiest way would be to have a server in one part of your network and start HP SUM with a SPP baseline and scann the server in the neigborhoud. This way you can keep the data load and perhaps firewall in tone...
Kind regards,

Andrew
lakshmana1
Frequent Advisor

I've installed SMH 7.5 and VCRM 7.4 on a new VM server running Windows server 2012 R2 and configured repository to get automatic updates. As per attached screenshot there are some warnings.Can some one check and confirm if everything is fine. Also, need to point exisitng VCA already running on some of the servers to new VCRM server, how do i do this?