1752292 Members
5107 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

HPE SIM, iLO Agentless Management, and SNMP v3

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

HPE SIM, iLO Agentless Management, and SNMP v3

I am currently using SNMP with Agentless Management and HPE SIM.  I would like to move to SNMP v3, if possible.  However, I know little to nothing about SNMP v3 and have some questions:

1) In the iLO, do I need to set any SNMP values if I am using SNMP v3?  For example, do I need a Read community set?  What about traps?  How does SNMP v3 know where to send traps if I dont include this info in the SNMP section?  Do I still need to provide a trap community and alert detination?  Is this still clear text, or would SNMP v3 provide the encryption for the trap community?

2) Do I need both Authentication AND Privacy passphrase, or just one or the other?  If not, what are the benefits of using both?

3) Do I use SHA or MD5?  Why?

4) Do I use DES or AES? Why?

5) Do I need an Engine ID?  Why?

In HPE SIM, for the SNMP v3 discovery credentials, there are more "options" and hence do no match what the iLO is asking for.  For example:

• HPE SIM asks for a Contact Engine ID and Context Name whereas the iLO does not ask for this and only asks for Engine ID.  What do I use here?
  • HPE provides for AES128/AES192/AES256 and DES/3DES whereas the iLO only provides for AES and DES.  Assuming I pick AES on the iLO, where version of AES do I select in SIM?

Thanks for any info.

NK

1 REPLY 1
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Re: HPE SIM, iLO Agentless Management, and SNMP v3

I think I figured out my answer to question 2.  I set the USM level at the SIM server which dictates the passphrases I need:

Specification for USM – USM (User-based Security Model) consists of the general definition of the following communication mechanisms available:

• Communication without authentication and privacy (NoAuthNoPriv).
  • Communication with authentication and without privacy (AuthNoPriv).
  • Communication with authentication and privacy (AuthPriv).

NK