4593 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPSIM Best Practices

Sands15
Frequent Advisor

HPSIM Best Practices

Hi,

Could anyone share his best practices for implementing HP SIM in windows environment?
I want to use SNMP as communication protocol.

6 REPLIES 6
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello there,

I can help if you want but first i have to know on what platform you want to install the HP SIM software and what kind of servers you want to monitor and if you have Enclosures. Using SNMP is not the best practice when using Windows 2008 and above and if you use ESX 5.X Wbem instead of SNMP support is installed. So if you could provide this information i can provide the information you need.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew
Sands15
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I want to install it on windows server and all the servers are in windows environment. I want to manage all HP blade servers.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

If your environment is small you could install sim and a local express SQL then discover the subnet that your servers are located in. If you have a working DNS with reverse the ip's get resolved to hostnames.

Before you run the discovery you have to set your credentials under options>security. If you have already set your Snmp setting you could use that setting. If you haven't you can set sign-in credentials and do a repair to set your snmp settings. You can also set the trust for single sign on vca settings. If you have Windows 2008 you should consider using wbem/wmi instead of SNMP. Hp is moving away from snmp and advices you to use WBEM for Windows 2008 and above.

If you need more detailed steps please let me know i will write in more detail.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew
Sands15
Frequent Advisor

Yes Please kindly let me know in detail with client as well as server setup

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

First have a Windows server installed, perhaps Windows 2012 is the best option because it's supported. I have it running on Windows 2008 R2. Depending on the number of objects you might use a VM. HP recomends a physical server above 1000 objects, so that's everything, server, ilo, switches......

You also need a SQL server, this can be a local free version that you can select at setup but performance could be slow. When installing SIM i recommend a physical server and a remote SQL due to the IO load, but it depends on the number of object you want to monitor.

When you install SIM i recommend a seperate partition, size should be around 10gb. But when you run a local SQL you can add at least 4 gb . Then at last when you install and fill the VCRM add an other 10gb depending on how many SPP's/ PSP's your will add. Also select what OSSes you intend to be monitoring. Also you either have to configure the Windows firewall with the ports mentioned in the HP documentation or disable your Windows firewall. That's your decision.

When you have this running, and i guess you have it installed already when i read your other post please reply and we will discuss the initial credentials etc...

Kind regards,

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew
Sands15
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Kindly let me know how to download and create baselines for different operating system and server model?