Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1754016 Members
7530 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to get more verbose event notifications?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dennis Watson
Occasional Contributor

How to get more verbose event notifications?

Insight manager 7 SP2 is running fine and events are being sent as required. All servers are W2K and were built from Smartstart 6.40.

We just had a hard drive fail and this is the event that was sent out:

Event Name: Device Status Change
Event originator: dc1
Event Severity: Minor
Event received: 11-May-2004, 08:05:04
Event description: The device status has changed due to one of the polling tasks, see below for additional details.
Assigned To:
Comment:

Source of current status change:HP SNMP Agent Polling
Previous device status:Normal

Is there a way to receive a message that actually says the hard drive failed? This info is in the server's Integrated mgmt log, so I would guess that it could get into the Insight Manager event message without much trouble...

Thanks in advance.
DennisW
2 REPLIES 2
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: How to get more verbose event notifications?

Note: This forum is for HP Systems Insight Manager. IM7 is covered in a separate forum located here: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId=266

All you are getting are events based on SNMP Status Polling. You need to set up your servers to have the SNMP service have the address of the IM7 server so it can send SNMP traps. You can do that through Group Configuration so you don't have to visit each server.
Richard Clark_4
Occasional Advisor

Re: How to get more verbose event notifications?

Dennis, Clay, or ?...
Am having the same problem as Dennis. Can you go into more detail (or provide instructions/documentation) on:
- Setting up my servers to have the SNMP service have the address of the IM7 server so it can send SNMP traps?
- Doing this through Group Configuration so I won't have to visit each server?

My apologies for adding to Dennis' query/question...