Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752589 Members
4290 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to setup HP SIM alerting to email different team for different IP Subnet alerts ?

Server-Support
Super Advisor

How to setup HP SIM alerting to email different team for different IP Subnet alerts ?

Hi,

How can create a group in HP SIM to make sure that certain email alert is send out to each own team per group ?

Example:

Server Group A (Team-A@domain.com):

PROD-SRV01

PROD-SRV02

PROD-SRV03

192.168.1.0-255/24

Server Group B (Team-B@domain.com):
TEST-SRV01
TEST-SRV02
TEST-SRV03
192.168.2.0-255/24

Because at the moment the discovery job is just one for 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.254.0 using single DOMAIN\Administrator account credentials. Thus the email is sent to All-Team@domain.com rather than per team / server group.

Best regards,
6 REPLIES 6
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: How to setup HP SIM alerting to email different team for different IP Subnet alerts ?

For this to work you need to create collections for the group of servers you want to send email to a group. Do you know how to create a collection of servers?
Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Unfortuantely no I don't know where to create it from ?

after that do I just select the servers based on the filter criteria ?

Best regards,
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello, When you are in SIM look at the left side of he screen under the Search bar. There you see Customize in blue, click this link. Now you get a screen where you can edit existing collections or create your own. Click on New, next choose Choos members individually. Here you get a list of all servers in SIM, when you select Choose from: All Servers. Select the servers you want to create a collection for and push the >> button. Now push the Save As Collection. Give the Collecion a logical name and on the Place inpull down you select Shared instead of the default Private, Otherwise you will save the collection in your private part in SIM and you will be the only one that can use this collection. Now that you have your collection(s) go to the menu again, choose Options > Events > Automatic Event Handling New Task. Type a Ttask name, could be the serverlist name and push the next button. In the next screen select All Events (unless you also want to forward specific events) and next. Now your select the system Collection, pull down to the name of your collection and push the next button. The next is the action, this is where use the Send e-mail and fill in a distributionlist or a specific email adres. If you want you can also set a timefilterin the next screen, leave this default. You are at the end of creating this email rule. Click the Finish button, be aware that the job is saved under your account. If you delete your account you will also delete this job. If this is a problem (and i think it is) edit the just created job, the first option is to select the name where this job runs under, you could set this to a service account you use or the local Administrator as this will not be delete anywhere soon.
Kind regards,

Andrew
BrianKelly
Advisor

To have your servers automatically be added to a collection use the contact string or location strings under snmp on the monitored servers and have your collections criteria in SIM sort on that.   I monitor many state agencies/domains and to keep track of the the servers that belong to an individual agency my contact string is  001- Gran-ADS-FP

001 is the agency number, Gran is the domain, ADS is the group responsible for the servers, FP is the role of the server.

I've attached some screen shots of my SIM comsole. 

BrianKelly
Advisor

Attached is what two of my collection setups look like.  The servers in alarm collection is very usefull.  As servers go into/out of  alarm they show up and dissapear from the collection.  With that collection it's very simple to keep track of what servers are having issues.

Brian in NH

Former hovercraft racer. 

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

I must say that is a good option certainly if you have a lot of servers and a dynamic number of them. You could use the repair option in SIM or any other tool that can run scripts to adapt your SNMP settings......

Kind regards,

Andrew