1752636 Members
5939 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: .MNF FIles

Ken Slaton_1
Occasional Contributor

.MNF FIles

Why are these created and will they cause issues with VCRM if used with DFS?
3 REPLIES 3
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

The MNF files are created by the VCRM to help it more quickly show information in the catalog about the files in the repository. The problem with using them with a DFS is that it has relative path information stored in it so if your drive/path information is different from one VCRM to the next it could cause an issue. If you are replicating them as you suggested in your previous question the relative path information may cause you problems. If you could replicate the files in the repository, but exclude replicating the MNF files, that would probably be the best solution. That way each individual VCRM can create its own MNF files.

-Rich
Why does my tivo keep recording Nickelodeon?
Ken Slaton_1
Occasional Contributor

If the relative path is the same what issues would that cause? Since the file only has the path and no Servername info? I am trying to figure this out.
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

If the relative path for the files are going to be the same then I don't know of any other issue, though I haven't personally seen it done. You might get in a scenario where some component files are replicated to a repository and the VCRM on that repository will see it and create it's own MNF file before the one coming from the replicated server shows up. If that doesn't cause a problem with the replication software I don't see another issue. The fact that the file it is trying to replicate may already be on the server - regardless the MNF files should be the same.
I would suggest you setup a simple test-bed with two VCRM's having one replicate the other just to verify you see no issues before you deploy it, but I don't see any other problems with this scenario.

-Rich
Why does my tivo keep recording Nickelodeon?