108789 Solutions
New Discussion

More Questions regarding Agentless Management

SOLVED
Go to solution
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

More Questions regarding Agentless Management

I have some questions regarding AMS - per this thread "/t5/Systems-Insight-Manager-Forum/Data-collection-found-no-data/td-p/6896282" - but I figured I would start a new one.

1) In the iLO there is still a link/reference to the SMH on the server.  However, Andrew in the above post mentioned removing the SHM when you use the AMS.  Is that correct?  If so, why would the iLO still have a reference to SMH in it?

2) After removing the WBEM Agents (or SMNP Agents), the SMH, and the VCAgent from the server and installing the AMS agent, I still have these installed on the server:

• HP Insight Diagnostics
  • iLO Online Config Utility (I believe this is still OK - but adding it to the list just in case)
  • Smart Storage Administrator
  • Smart Storage Administrator CLI
  • Smart Storage Diagnostics and SmartSSD Wear Gauge Utility
  • Integrated Log Viewer

Do any of these alse need to be removed?  For example are any of these rendered useless by the removal of the WBEM, SNMP and/or SHM and hence are no longer needed?

Thanks

NK

3 REPLIES 3
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: More Questions regarding Agentless Management

The SMH is a legacy tool for ILO4 servers. The ILO now provides enough info in case of a hardware problem. The SMH has had it's share of open SSL problems and on ESX servers you needed a root like account to monitor the server.

The diagnostic tool can be uninstalled a it needs the SMH if i'm not misstaken. You can monitor your servers from ILOand if you place these in a non routable network with a link to your SIM server, things just got a lot more secure. For updating you server you can use HP SUM.

When you keep using SMH/SNMP or WBEM in combination with AMS ILO you will run into datacollection issues. The info in the reports will disapear like detailed info for memory and software/firmware versions.
Kind regards,

Andrew
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Perfect - thank you.

NK

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

You're welcome !
Kind regards,