1747992 Members
5008 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Predictive drive failure severity Warning

Daniel_D
Occasional Visitor

Predictive drive failure severity Warning

I recently had a predictive physical drive failure on a server that was missed due to the severity level.  The event was (SNMP) Physical Drive Status Change (3046).  The event severity was Warning  The event shows the Event trap as cpqdaphysdrvstatus.  In SNMP Trap Settings I find the matching Event Type under Trap Name dpqda7physdrivestatuschange, and the severity is set to Critical.   How do I get this to show up as a critical event?

3 REPLIES 3
Jaydiohead
Occasional Contributor

Re: Predictive drive failure severity Warning

I got excatly the same issue. Any idea ?

SwisspostIT
Valued Contributor

edit: i didn't read the question correctly so my answer was wrong ;)

LGentile
Trusted Contributor

The solution provided does not fully affect the "status change" traps from drives and cache batteries..

See this thread:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ITRC-HP-Systems-Insight-Manager/Hard-Drive-Predictive-Failures-Need-them-to-register-as-critical/td-p/6331283#.U2jLRlex9pU

There is no way to granually change the severities on the "underlying" statuses.  So, PFAs will always be warnings, failures always critical no matter what you set the main trap to be (trap 3046, for example).

You can, in the MIB apparently, change the severity to ALWAYS be the same for ANY status change, but i highly doubt you want a "good" status to also be "critical" severity along with PFAs and actual failures.

See the thread above, i had to create another event collection specifically for drive status changes and generate events on minor/warnings to catch all the conditions (in addition to major/critical that the normal event collections catch).