Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748212 Members
3979 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SIM 7.3 and Traps not showing

MikeeB

SIM 7.3 and Traps not showing

Stood up a new server (2012 R2) with SIM 7.3 yesterday.  Everything went well with discovering the  managed systems, however I'm not receiving traps from any of them.

We have an older SIM server (5.3) still running that we are turning off and we have configured all SNMP info on the new one to match the original setup.  Old server shows traps, new one doesn't.

The new server is receiving the traps because we are also running another trap receiver on it (it's a "utility" server).  It is configured to use the same community strings and everything.  the other software shows the trap, SIM does not.

Any ideas?

The "Send Test Trap" option from an agent is what we are using to test this....

thanks!! 

3 REPLIES 3
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Reading snmp is a whole other thing than receiving. Did you check the trap config on the new servers? The destinations should be the new sim server if that's configured. You could also do a repair from the new server to set the snmp settings.

Be sure to check firewalls beteren the trap sender and sim if you have any.
Kind regards,

Andrew
MikeeB

All 600+ managed servers have the new and the old SIM server configured as trap recipients.  The new SIM server is also a trap recipient using another application.  That app is receiving traps from the SIM agents and displaying them.  The SIM application on that server is not.  I know the traps are getting there...just can't figure out why they do not show up in the SIM console.

Nothing in the "traps" folder either..

Flat network, no firewalls, recipients set correctly.......

I have attached snapshots of what I see...one from the old SIM system that shows all the test traps being received.  the other two are from the new system running SIM and a different app as well.  You can see that the other app is receiving and posting the trap but SIM is not.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

You could select a few servers and run a check communication to check what sim advises. Why don't you use WBEM for the traps? You can also configure the traps to be received by sim even if they are unregistered. You should only set the receive unregistered events for a short period.
Kind regards,

Andrew