1752742 Members
5252 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM6 installation problems

tricky6
Occasional Advisor

I've been down the DEP route and I've also tried the IE8 upgrade path and have still got nowhere, although I have discovered that when I install an a freshly built VM that I haven't yet joined to the domain I have no problems. If I do it on a machine that's in the domain: it doesn't work.
OlivierV
Trusted Contributor

Hello.
Do you use a local administrator account or a domain account hat is a member of the local administrators group ?
Also, do you use a standard RDP console for installing SIM or the administrative RDP console ?
tricky6
Occasional Advisor

Alas. I've tried using both the loca admin user account and a domain account which is a member of the local admins group. I've also tried using the /admin or the /console switch when using RDP and that seems to make no difference either. I wouldn't mind so much if the logs actually gave some useful diagnostic information!
MDS-ALPA
Frequent Advisor

In the past I tried to install v5.3 SP1 on a HyperV virtual and couldn't do it, was told at that time that virtual servers weren't support. Was some time ago, has that changed for V6 etc?
ehuang
Super Advisor

Tricky6, I am experiencing exactly the same problem as you have. Joining domain goes nowhere but standing-alone is good to go. Have you found any fix for this yet? Much appreciated.
CarlosRivera

I am having the installing issue as the people above. I have tried upgrading all actions here without success. Installation begins but stops on the HP Systems Insight Manager component; information on log files is similar to what's been published.

When server is removed from the domain, I can start the unzip of the original .EXE file without the message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file..."

Server is W2K3 SP2 fully patched, on a DL320 G5 server. All requirements on Install guide are met. Please advise!
tricky6
Occasional Advisor

I've still got absolutely nowhere with this. I'm hoping that v6.1 might help, when it's available once more.
Split71
Occasional Advisor

I'm having the same exact issues as well. I've been on the phone with tech support and they are not sure what to do either.

Im using a physical server with server 2003 x64 SP2 on it and using a SQL server with SQLServer 2005 SP3 on it. Plenty of ram and HDD space there.

I've played with the DEP features, and that didn't change anything. I've used the local administrator account to install it on our server and local administrator access to our database server. Then i used our service account for SIM. Everything validates fine and it will install the system management homepage just fine, but right after i get the same errors as everybody else when it tries to start the actualy SIM install.

[Fri Jul 30 09:52:42 EDT 2010]Install Shell:nStatus = 4
[07-30-2010][09:52:42][Install Shell]HP Systems Insight Manager
[07-30-2010][09:52:42][Install Shell]return code: 4
[07-30-2010][09:52:42][Install Shell]return msg: Setup failed. Please refer to the C:\hpsim.log and \logs\initconfig.logfiles for details.
tricky6
Occasional Advisor

Well 6.1B doesn't seem to make any difference. The same errors are encountered during install.

[Mon Aug 16 13:55:17 UTC+0100 2010]Install Shell:component install Initial Start return code == 0
[Mon Aug 16 13:55:17 UTC+0100 2010]Install Shell:InstallComplete()
[Mon Aug 16 13:55:17 UTC+0100 2010]Install Shell:process exit code = 12
[Mon Aug 16 13:55:17 UTC+0100 2010]Install Shell:sStatus = Setup failed. Please refer to the C:\hpsim.log and \logs\initconfig.logfiles for details.
[Mon Aug 16 13:55:17 UTC+0100 2010]Install Shell:nStatus = 4
[08-16-2010][13:55:17][Install Shell]HP Systems Insight Manager
[08-16-2010][13:55:17][Install Shell]return code: 4
[08-16-2010][13:55:17][Install Shell]return msg: Setup failed. Please refer to the C:\hpsim.log and \logs\initconfig.logfiles for details.
[Mon Aug 16 13:55:17 UTC+0100 2010]Install Shell:InstallComplete(sStatus[Setup failed. Please refer to the C:\hpsim.log and \logs\initconfig.logfiles for details.] nStatus[4])
[Mon Aug 16 13:55:17 UTC+0100 2010]Install Shell:installComplete: sStatus = Setup failed. Please refer to the C:\hpsim.log and \logs\initconfig.logfiles for details. nStatus = 4
[Mon Aug 16 13:55:17 UTC+0100 2010]Install Shell:updateComponentStatus(sStatus[Setup failed. Please refer to the C:\hpsim.log and \logs\initconfig.logfiles for details.])
[Mon Aug 16 13:55:17 UTC+0100 2010]Install Shell:checkIfFailedInstallIsHPSIM()
Joel Rubenstein
Honored Contributor

This issue is currently being investigated by HP support. It is caused by a Windows GPO interfering with the SIM installer. We have determined that in at least 2 instances a Software Restriction Policy when disabled allowed the SIM installation to complete.

If you have implemented such a policy please disable it prior to attempting the install. Once SIM is installed the policy can be re-enabled.

If you are having this issue and do not have this GPO configured please open a support case with HP so the problem can be investigated.

Workarounds are as follows

1. remove the server from the domain, install SIM, add the server back into the domain.

2. Create a test OU, TestOU, first level under the domain
Disable inheritance on the OU (this makes sure no GPOs are applied)
Move the HP SIM server to the TestOU.
Install HPSIM.
The server can then be moved back to its original OU.