6543 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: System Management Homepage and Windows Server 2003

James Dunlop
Advisor

System Management Homepage and Windows Server 2003

Hi folks,

I've updated some of my Windows Server 2003 servers to the latest version of System Management Homepage (7.2.3.1) but Version Control Agent still shows a critical update available (7.3.2.1) which doesn't work with Windows Server 2003.

Any ideas how I stop this from happening?

I use Version Control Repository Manager to manage my servers.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello James,

Did you create baselines? I use a seperate baseline for windows 2003 and 2008. You could create a baseline from 8.70 PSP and addthe newer smh and vca. To do that you need to edit the Xml that came with the Psp.

If you need more help with that let me know.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew
James Dunlop
Advisor

Thanks for your reply Andrew.

I don't currently use baselines so some assistance editing the XML file would be appreciated.

James

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello James,

First download the latest PSP for your server hardware platform. If the hardware is recent then the PSP8.70 would be the latest version you can download. It can be downloaded here from the HP website. This PSP's contain an xml file. Now download the latest System Management Homepage and Version Control agent. Write down the filenames of these files.

In the PSP's you downloaded are the original System Management Homepage and Version Control Agent, look at the Cpxxxxx.exe files and also write these namens down. Now look in the xml files and look at the bottom for the cpxxxx.exe entry. Replace the original entry for the name of the newer System Management Homepage and Version Control Agent.

There should also be a version number in there. If the Psp including the new files is Copied in the Version Control Repository directory the VCRM service should see this and build the catalog. If the scan finishes you should have a baseline in the VCRM. Now you can connect the VCA to the VCRM and select the baseline you just created. The other way is to use the VCRM to create a baseline and select the componenten you wish and save the selection as a new baseline. The disadvantage to the second way is that everything time you create a new baseline with a new xml name you'll have to set the baseline on the VCA's on the servers VCA's. You could try to rename the xml to the old name but I did'nt test if that would work. The easiest way is just to edit an existing XML. Be sure to change the version number in the XML or the VCRM will not see the changes you made.

Hope that helps, if you can't find the version number in the XML let me know, i'll look what the exact syntax is in the XML for the version number.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew