4458 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: System management homepage launches 4 cmd.exe processes

Franc van de Westelaken_1
Frequent Advisor

System management homepage launches 4 cmd.exe processes

Hi,

when I'm logged on to the console of our servers and want to reboot the servers they won't reboot. Nothing happens. I even can't start the task manager anymore. After troubleshooting I noticed the following. There are 4 cmd.exe processes running under the system account. When I remotely kill these cmd.exe processes then I'm able to reboot the servers. After digging I found out that the System Management Homepage V3.0.0.64 is responsible for creating these 4 cmd.exe processes. Once I stop the System Management homepage these 4 cmd.exe services are also terminated and I can successfully reboot the servers.

Anyone experience this also ?

Franc.
6 REPLIES 6
Gladiator
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Which version of windows have you tested this?

Regards
Sinto
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

it's happening on both Windows 2003 and windows 2008. Clearly an issue with the SMH. Reverting back to a previous version also removes the extra cmd.exe processes when SMH is running.

Franc.
Frequent Advisor

I have these 4 extra cmd.exe processes running on all servers on which I installed the new System Management Homepage. Once I downgrade to a previous version these cmd.exe processes are also gone. No one else seeing this ?

Franc.
Predator
Trusted Contributor

Hi Franc Van,

The four cmd process running along with latest SMH is part of apache architecture and is expected.
But that will not affect the server reboot or starting the task manager.

One probability: By killing the cmd process or SMH service, it may stop some other services which is not allowing you to reboot the server.

I think it is not because of the latest SMH which is stopping you from reboot.

Thanks!!

Dean Duensing
Advisor

We are experiencing some similar behaviour on our Server 2008 x64 systems. 4 "unresponsive" cmd windows are launched (in the foreground) but cannot be killed. The system locks to the point that no other tasks can be started (taskmanager, mmc, etc)and remote connections are also locked out. We have ~ 130 DL360 G6s running the SMH, ver ( v3.0.1.73 ) any ideas?

Thanks!
Dwayne Dibbley
Advisor

Same problem here, SMH 6.0 and four cmd.exe's.

When shutting down ( windows 2003 ) or restarting it can take nearly 10 minutes before the desktop starts to unload and reboot.

If i kill the 4 cmd.exe's then reboot instant result.

It seems the apache server is not receiving the shutdown request and the OS is waiting.

workaround would possible be a shutdown script to stop the SMH service ?

Thanks