New Discussion юеВ

Re: Understanding of Insight management Agents VS WBEM providers

SOLVED
Go to solution
AnnaSIM
Advisor

Understanding of Insight management Agents VS WBEM providers

Hello Forum people, 

Since i ran into a problem with getting events from some windows running servers , i got deep and long hours on every piece of documantation i had\found. 

Can you please help me understand some simple rules? Since my head is in a great mess 

Hp Insight management Agents - are used to collect information from  server and then sending it through SNMP protocol only ! 

In order to use WBEM credentials I supposed to install the WBEM provider on the windows managed servers , and any Insight management Agents are not needed ? 

Please , please help me to get a clear image of that- confused a LOT. 

Thanks !!!!!! 

5 REPLIES 5
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor
Solution

Correct,

The SNMP management agents depend to the SNMP stack on the OS, For windows and ESX you should use the WBEM agent on hardware below Gen8. For Gen8 and above you should use AMS (Agentless Managment Software). 

The real advantage to WBEM is that this is more secure as to SNMP wich is not secure at all. Be sure to use one type of agent and not more than one as you will get strange problems.

Kind regards,

Andrew
AnnaSIM
Advisor

First of all thank you Andrew , It's not the first time you are helping me to figure out things. Very appreciated.

Now another question - so the WBEM agent = the WBEM provider ? Searching google for couple days to find a valid download for windows 64, cannot find any .
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

This software should only be installed on G7 and below, so if your hardware is of ths type you can download the agent here :

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=4091567&swItemId=MTX_9015eb99985e44f09bb30bcfe9&swEnvOid=4064

Don't forget to set a WBEM subscription for your server from SIm otherwise you won't get WBEM event traps.

Kind regards,

Andrew
AnnaSIM
Advisor

For some reason it is not possible for me to find the WBEM providers for Windows server 2012 R2 , I'm getting to a page but the download button is missing. Is it only me ?
Thanks in advance
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

I've tried the download button (blue) and it works. But the site is famous for not being able to download software so i suggest you try it again on monday morning early.

If that still does not work we'll try an other option
Kind regards,

Andrew