Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1748224 Members
4295 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Using HP SIM v7.5 to get managed switch information ?

Server-Support
Super Advisor

Using HP SIM v7.5 to get managed switch information ?

Hi All,

Using HP SIM v7.5, can anyone here please assist me with some ideas or software how to gather the network switch or appliance that is connected in my network ?

I've got multiple different Subnet/VLANs for each different site offices so the search rang will be quite large 10.1.0.0/16

Plus each sites may have different switch model other than HP Procurve switch.

Thanks,

Best regards,
3 REPLIES 3
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: Using HP SIM v7.5 to get managed switch information ?

Hello,

First you would need all the types of switches you want to identify and see if they are listed in the mib entries in SIM. If they're  not listed see if you can download mib files to be imported into sim.

Is the goal to have only switches in this SIM setup?

Kind regards,

Andrew
Server-Support
Super Advisor

Hi Andrew,

No the goal is to get what isthe IP and the name of the switch, that's all it is.

Best regards,
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again Albert, If your reverse DNS is OK any the communities are all known you should be fine. But the problem could be that people will complain that you scan a large range and you will hit objects that will create logging but there realy is no way around this if you are scanning whole ranges. YOu can exclude parts but only if these are parts you know you don't need. I would imagine that some switches would be unmanaged as you don't have a mib for these but then if DNS resolves then reverse you should be able to get names. The IP will always get filled as you scan ranges of IP's. One thing you could run into is if the IP is not pingable SIM won't add them. If the switch has a web interface you can use that port (80) for ping purposes.
Kind regards,

Andrew