Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753481 Members
4599 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Visualization of the datacenter rooms and racks with HP SIM - possible ?

Kopp3
Advisor

Visualization of the datacenter rooms and racks with HP SIM - possible ?

Hello SIM-gurus,

I love SIM and the picture view of the blade racks and enclusures in SIM.

All our servers and systems are already discovered in SIM.

What I miss it the same view for the rack mount servers...

Is there any possiblity to visualize whole server room with many racks and add single server to this view?

I don't want to create server rack diagram in Visio and actualize such diagramms monthly... 

May be there are third-party plug-in for SIM?

How would you do this task ? May be a hint to other intelligent software it cann connect to the SIM DB and create server rack diagram automatically ?

Thx a lot.

9 REPLIES 9
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Re: Visualization of the datacenter rooms and racks with HP SIM - possible ?

Hi,

I am interested also in third-party plug-ins or other experience but yes you can create/define with SIM itself also racks which you can populate with the discovered devices inside SIM...

It is a little easier if you have blades since blade enclosures also has racks defined thru the OA... However you can create yourself also racks and put rackmount DL and ML or whatever discovered servers in there...

Just take a look in the tree structure at the left of SIM...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Kopp3
Advisor

Hi Bart,

I knew this way : Systems > Shared > All Racks > MyBlaBlaRack --> Button "EDIT RACK".

But I can choose only enclosures to the rack, not DL servers.

Your answer animated me to search again and I found this : 

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Add-Rack/m-p/4716581#M107297

"Yes if you have insight control power management installed, you can edit a data center define your rack rows and column and place your server insight racks"

I will test InsightControl this month...

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I have my DL380 servers also in my racks visualized inside SIM. Can be because I have activated a Insight Control license for the power management functionality...

But as such it is working really fine...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Kopp3
Advisor

Hi Bart,

it also works for me!

I've installed Insight Control Power management and I'm able to manually create datacenters and racks now.

Questions:

-  How I can link new created rack to an existing datacenter ?

- If I edit the rack I see the picture of them with some servers and manually created itms like KVM, but if I click on the rack unter Navigation pane > All Racks > and choose "view as pictrue", I can not see any servers on the pic and the message is "The Rack is Empty" (see attached screenshot)

Any hints ?

Thx in advance...

MariusGillesen
Advisor

Hi,

you should be able to go to Shared/System by Type/All Data Centers/ "Your Data Center" on the "Power/Thermal# tab ther should be a "Edit Data Center" button. There all defined racks should be listed and you can drag and drop the rack in the correct location.

As for the "Rack is Empty" message. Did you selcect the servers for the available servers/devices list when building your layout? 

Kopp3
Advisor

Hi Marius,

1) thx for the hint reg. "Edit Data Center" button! That is it! (one point assigned to you)

2) You wrote: "Did you selcect the servers for the available servers/devices list when building your layout?"

Could you please explain, what you meaned?

If I click on Shared >System by Type>All Racks>Rack_007 and choose "View as" table, as location or as power I can see few manually created dummy devices (KVM, Power supply) and one discovered DL370.

But if I choose  "View as" picture, I see the table with the Datacenetr ID / DC location etc and the message "The Rack is Empty".

Please note red marked area on my screenshot attached above.

Thx in advance.

schwengels
Advisor

I am also trying to configure this using the demo/eval. My question is how do I add or discover a data center if I only have DL servers? Is a datacenter created automatically when servers are discovered?

If I click on All Data Centers the collection is empty, so how do I get the initial data center to show up so I can edit it?

Thank you

Pantera
Advisor

I have download HP_UX_11i_v2_HPIPM-HP-UX_7.4.0.1978_HP-UX_B.11.31_IA.depot

but I don't know how to install

help please

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

I believe that that is the UX version:

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=IMDVD version of the software.

I think you should look here. 

Kind regards,

Andrew