Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1747984 Members
4922 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: WBEM Polling is working, but No Events/alerts are being created/emailed on monitored VM Host

Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

Re: WBEM Polling is working, but No Events/alerts are being created/emailed on monitored VM Host

I would like to see the output of: mxwbemsub -l <nodename>

Can you please help me with the same.

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

DaveLewis
Occasional Advisor

Andrew: attached is a screen capture of my attempt to subscribe ad send events  which didn't work, as well as my mange events screen.

Tushar: I'm assuming nodename is the esxi node.  it didn't like that command.

C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\bin>mxwbemsub -l 10.10.10.201 --user
"LEWIS\xxxxxxx" --pass xxxxxxx

No nodes were specified.
Usage:
       mxwbemsub -a [destination] ( -n nodenames | -f filespec ) [-t indication
type]
       mxwbemsub -r [destination] ( -n nodenames | -f filespec ) [-u uuid] [-t i
ndication type]
       mxwbemsub -l [destination] ( -n nodenames | -f filespec ) [-s ] [-t indic
ation type]
       mxwbemsub -m [current destination] new destination ( -n nodenames | -f fi
lespec ) [-t indication type]

where: indication type= health
       where: s = list all WS-Man subscriptions
       where: u = UUID of WS-Man subscription

Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

Yes, thats correct.

you can use: "mxwbemsub -l <esxi-node-name / IP Address>"

Just try running: mxwbemsub -l 10.10.10.201

No User name and Password are required here, command will get that from the DB.

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

DaveLewis
Occasional Advisor

when I do that I throws an error

C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\bin>mxwbemsub -l 10.10.10.201
There was a problem connecting to the HP Systems Insight Manager server. Make su
re that:
1. Your username has been added to HP Systems Insight Manager.
2. Your username and password, if specified, are correctly spelled.
3. HP Systems Insight Manager is running.
4. You used '--' for any long options and double quotes if your username include
s a domain.
Example: <commandname> --user "mydomain\myusername" --pass mypassword

C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\bin>

DaveLewis
Occasional Advisor

and if I try it as a "run as administrator" cmd prompt

C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\bin>mxwbemsub -l 10.10.10.201

No nodes were specified.
Usage:
       mxwbemsub -a [destination] ( -n nodenames | -f filespec ) [-t indication
type]
       mxwbemsub -r [destination] ( -n nodenames | -f filespec ) [-u uuid] [-t i
ndication type]
       mxwbemsub -l [destination] ( -n nodenames | -f filespec ) [-s ] [-t indic
ation type]
       mxwbemsub -m [current destination] new destination ( -n nodenames | -f fi
lespec ) [-t indication type]

where: indication type= health
       where: s = list all WS-Man subscriptions
       where: u = UUID of WS-Man subscription

DaveLewis
Occasional Advisor

Ok. I don't konw what I did.. but some more reboots and now I have this when run the command from the server

C:\Program Files\HP\Systems Insight Manager\bin>mxwbemsub -l -n 10.10.10.201

Filter instances of Subscriptions for:

Filter Name: HPSIM_TYPE_1_hpmon_0
Query: select * from CIM_AlertIndication
Destination: https://10.10.10.241:50004/10.10.10.201?wbemip=10.10.10.201

and now when I reboot the vm host I get some events reporting "system unreachable" and "system reachable". but I'm and the ILO mangement side of things seems to be reporting events  but still nothing from a hardware perspective on the actual server itself. 

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Did you reinsert the power suply and then remove it again?

There should also be some post errors. By the way the screenshot looked great both balls where green, when you hover above the second ball it should say ability to recieve events and the time/date.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew
DaveLewis
Occasional Advisor

Andrew,

I would totally agree with you but it isn't lol.

If I pull the power cable on the psu, the health status does eventually change (I'm guessing at the next polling intrerval) and If I drill down it tells me which psu is showing the fault, but at no point do I get an event, so no email either.

As I said earlier, when I reboot now, I do get some events and emails , but only if I do something at that level, at the component level I don't get anything. And yes on the communications page if I mouse over the green checkbox on events it says it's able to receive events.

I have to say, I know I'm a newbie to SIM , but it has to be one of the most complicated systems I've seen just to report system events.  lol.    All this just to try and monitor my couple of vm boxes so I don't have to physically look at them every day for some flashing orange lights. 

I'm open to suggestions if you can think of anything.

Thanks,

Dave

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again Dave,

Do you also have Windows servers in your monitoring (can also be your SIM server)? Could you try to open the SMH page for a Windows server and do a test for WBEM event send? You can find this under Settings > Send Test Indication. Choose any eventype and look for these events in your SIM server under Events by Severity > All Events.

You can also check the WBEm proxy settings under Options > Protocol Settings > WMI Mapper Proxy. It should contain your server and the default port. The WMI proxy also has a logfile at c:\Program Files\The Open Group WMI Mapper\logs\PegasusStandard.log or the Error.log for that matter. Perhaps you can find the error there.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew
MichaelHayes
Occasional Advisor

I was able to receive WBEM events after I disable the ESXi firewall. 

esxcli network firewall set --enabled false (turn firewall off)

nc -z HP_SIM_SERVER_IP 50004 

/opt/hp/tools/./hptestevent

esxcli network firewall set --enabled true (turn firewall on)