1752777 Members
6088 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What are the defaullt event notifications for HP Systems insight Manager

stuart_38

What are the defaullt event notifications for HP Systems insight Manager

Hello all,

I have recently installed HP Systems Insight Manager Version 4.0, and after a bit of tinkering about have come to the point where i would like to know what the default event notifications are, i.e host down, host up etc. However with the user manual i have, i cannot find a definitive list, or find them whilst searching within the automatic event handling in HPSIM. Can anyone point me in the right direction of any manuals, web sources, or within HPSIM itself, where i may find this information.

Thanks very much

Stuart

3 REPLIES 3
Jeff Doe
Advisor

I didnt have any luck finding definitions for these either. If you wanna monitor host down/host up, I would suggest using events where event is "critical" and where event is "normal". These 2 will notify you if system is down and when it's back up. I also create 2 other events in a separate area (when I had all of them together the event notification would not work, not sure if it's a known bug.) But the other 2 are "Proliant System and Environment" and "Prolian Storage Events". These seem to work decent for me.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

There's probably no such thing.

SIM relies on a couple of things, polling the devices to see if they're okay. That will pick up when a device becomes unavailable.
But it also relies on SNMP Traps being sent from the Servers.
These can be the result of threshold settings in Agents, or any number of software items that generate traps (e.g. some Backup products)

The previous poster suggested a good generic method of starting Event handling. Pick up the uncleared critical and maybe major events.
From there you may be able to define what your organization requires.
stuart_38

Excellent,

Thankyou both for your help.