4484 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Windows 2012 R2 discovery issue by SIM

scklam
Occasional Advisor

Windows 2012 R2 discovery issue by SIM

Hi all,

I tried to discover some newly installed servers with Windows 2012 R2 by SNMP.

It ends with an error "Critical: HP SIM cannot communicate with these systems using the WBEM protocol. "

In fact, I did not intend to use WBEM protocol. I'm not sure why SIM is trying to communicate with the servers via WBEM.

The point is, when I'm trying to send out test traps, no events are received on SIM.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. This thread has been moedfrom general to ITRC HP Systems Insight Manager Forum。 - 互派佛辱骂Moderator

14 REPLIES 14
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello there,

if you have SIM questions you should ask your questions here :http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ITRC-HP-Systems-Insight-Manager/bd-p/itrc-455

But your question, is SNMP configured on the server you want to monitor? Read community and source Ip should be set and also destination trap Community and ip or name of the SIM server. Then the SIM server needs at least the read community and if possible write community. Be aware that if you set a write community that the SNMP is V1 and can be sniffed and can then be used to change the config of your server if it spoofs the IP of your SIM server. Wbem is a saver option to monitor your server as that protocol is at least secure. Why do you want to use SNMP?

Kind regards,

Andrew
scklam
Occasional Advisor

Sorry for posting in the wrong area.

Yes. I have configured SNMP on the host already.

In fact, this problem only existed on Windows 2012.

The reason I used SNMP is that sometimes I don't necessarily possess the login credentials.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Can you run a Identify of a sample server you want to monitoring/scan. Please paste the log this identify gives in this forum. That should give us a hint wheat goes wrong. You can always disable the WBEM discovey in SIM of you don't use it. If you also don't use SSH this can also be disabled, that helps in the discovery/idientification time. Also your security guy or woman will thank you.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Ken Krubsack
Trusted Contributor

One thing I've noticed on W2012 (and R2) is that when HP SUM is run and you get to the components list, WBEM is NOT checked by default.  If you want WBEM installed on a W2012/W2012 R2 server, you must select that component manually.

Hope this helps

Ken

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Can you do an identify and post the log?

Kind regards,

Andrew
scklam
Occasional Advisor

I tried to disable WBEM in global protocols and run the discovery again. Below is the result.

When I tried to send a test trap, it still fails to discover the server host...

I am using SIM 6.3 (I know it's very old but..)

********* Significant issues and overall target discovery/identification          
status: Normal: The system has valid hardware data (model, serial number, and unique identifier) and has been identified properly for SIM to manage. Major: WBEM is not enabled on the Central Management Server (CMS). ********* Additional results (listed for information only): * Starting identification process... * Checking for known running web servers... * Checking for System Management Homepage and other HP web agents... Normal: System Management Homepage (SMH) is installed or is responding on the system(s). * Checking for SNMP protocol support on system... Normal: The system responded to an SNMP request; it supports SNMP Protocol and has a valid read community string. * Running SNMP System Type manager ... Normal: No matching SNMP System Type Manager rule for sysObjID was found. * Running SNMP base cluster identification using common cluster MIB... Normal: This system does not have the common cluster MIBs support. * Running IPMI protocol identification... Normal: IPMI protocol not detected so skipping IPMI Identification. * Checking for WBEM protocol support on system... Major: WBEM is not enabled on the Central Management Server (CMS). * Running WBEM rules based identification... Major: WBEM is not enabled on the Central Management Server (CMS). * Running Virtual Machine (VM) Host (non HP Integrity VM Host) Identification... Normal: The system is not a VM Host (non HP Integrity VM Host), or WBEM credentials may not be specified so skipping VM Identification. * Running WS-Man identification... Minor: The system did not respond to WS-Management (WS-Man) request. * Running HP ProLiant management agent identification... Normal: Identification can get the system information from the ProLiant SNMP Foundation agents for servers. * Running HP NetServer identification... Normal: System supports the NetServer SNMP agent, adding system type. * Running HP-UX SNMP identification... Normal: System does not have the HP-UX SNMP agents installed. * Running SSH Protocol identification... Minor: The system(s) do not have Secure Shell (SSH) installed or it is not running on the managed system(s). * Running SSH Identification... Normal: SSH Protocol is not enabled so skipping SSH Identification. * Running Storage identification... * Did not detect the WBEM protocol support on this system. SMI storage identification will be skipped. * Storage identification completed. * Running HP Serviceguard Identification... Normal: The system is not part of HP Serviceguard cluster. * Running SNMP subtypes identification... * No additional subtype(s) found from SNMP. * Running RackManager Identifier which will discover systems in a rack if the automatic rack discovery option for RackManager is enabled... Normal: The system is not a Rack Manager, skipping automatic discovery of systems in the rack. * Running OA Identifier which will discover systems in an enclosure if the automatic enclosure discovery option for OA is enabled... Normal: The system is not an Onboard Administrator, skipping automatic discovery of systems in the enclosure. * Running Enclosure Manager Identifier which will discover systems in an enclosure if the automatic enclosure discovery option for Enclosure Manager is enabled... Normal: The system is not an Enclosure Manager, skipping automatic discovery of systems in the enclosure. * Running iLO Identifier which will discover the server if the automatic server discovery option for iLO is enabled... Minor: The system responds to the HTTP request but cannot get the XML output. It is normal for servers not to get the XML data. * Running p-Class Identifier... Normal: The system is not a p-Class so skipping p-Class identification. * Running Monarch OA Identification... Normal: The system is not a monarch OA so skipping monarch OA identification. * Resolving DNS names... Normal: The fully qualified domain name was successfully resolved for the system. * Running Virtual Machine Management (VMM) Plug-in Identification... Normal: Virtual Machine Management (VMM) Integration is not enabled so skipping VMM VM Identification. * Building system relationships... Normal: The trust between the CMS and the managed system is established. * Running system Manage Communication diagnosis... * System identification finished on system.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

The discovery seems Ok, now for the test trap did you check the SNMP config on the server that you test from.Under the SNMP service check the Traps tab for trap destination and community. Is the datasource for your SMH SNMP? You could also download thr mib update, this should be the same as you installed but you could try to reimport the mibs.

Perhaps something went wrong there. You could also try the wbem trap test,  don't forget to set the subscription before testing. One last thing, check your Windows firewall for incomming 162 traps.

Kind regards,

Andrew
scklam
Occasional Advisor

I have checked the SNMP config and I'm quite sure it was set up correctly, since SNMP is working perfectly on other servers with Windows 2008, using the same SNMP configurations.

For windows firewall, do you mean the monitoring server? If so, I think it's not blocking the 162 port since it's receiving SNMP from other servers.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

That sounds right, the last thing i can think of is do a repair from SIM and select all options forSNMP on one server and look if that helps. If you look at the servers you discover, are they unknown/unmanaged?

Kind regards,

Andrew