Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752325 Members
5824 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: esxi monitoring without root password ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
kkpro
Regular Advisor

esxi monitoring without root password ?

Hello.

Can I montior ESXi hosts through HP SIM without using root password, but using some other account ? or using other way... ?

7 REPLIES 7
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Sure a root like account would also work if that is what you mean. If the server is  Gen8 or newer this is even easier.

These servers can be monitored b the ILO, is the server a Gen8 or newer?

Kind regards,

Andrew
kkpro
Regular Advisor

Hi,

I'd rather mean can I use any other account except root for monitoring ? It's Gen9 server, for ILO monitoring I must connect ILO port to network first, isn't it ?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

If the hardware is a Gen8 or newer you should not monitor the server using SNMP or WBEM on the host. Instead you need to use the ILO to monitor the server. If you configure the SNMP settings on the ILO and install the Agentless Monitoring software you only need to monitor the server from the ILO. Do you know what you need to configure ? You need to set community for reading and trapping SNMP calls. Als you need to set the SIM server IP or name for traps to be received on the SIM side. Configure the Servername instead of the ILO name and the events will land on the server. Datacollection is also done by the ILO by using the ILo and AMS info.

Kind regards,

Andrew
kkpro
Regular Advisor

@Andrew_Haak wrote:

Configure the Servername instead of the ILO name and the events will land on the server.

Andrew, what did you mean by "configure servername instead of the ILO name" ? Which part of configuration is about ?

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

If you look in the Settings on the ILO under Administration . Management you have the option to set ILO Hostname or OS Hostname. This can be found under the SNMP Alerts in this page. Default setting is ILO Hostname. Then when the server has an error the trap gets send with the ILO name and the event lands on the ILO. This is OK for Oneview but from a SIM view you would want the event to land on the server. This is esspecialy true when you want to forward the event and the ILo has no DNS entry. With de default settings you would get an error on an IP of the ILO. 

Kind regards,

Andrew
kkpro
Regular Advisor

Thank you for clarification, got it. So, I added several Gen9 servers to SIM through iLO (SNMP). Seems to be OK, but when I click "Health Status", I see hardware items as links lead to iLO site, like this (+picture):
https://sim...=ILO&FRM=3&URL=https://ilo:443/

Is it OK ? I have several ESXi sites monitored through SSH (WBEM?) using root password, and hardware items show extra info inside SIM.

hpsim.jpg

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

That is normal. Status is collected using SNMP Hardware polling done from the ILO. Be sure that SNMP traps are configured as they take care of any hardware errors. The status nothing more than the last polled hardware status. If the SNMP polling should fail you could be missing major problems if the traps don't work. As a test you could reset an ILO to see if you receive traps from your ILO's. The server info is collected from the AMS and this works for Windows, Linux and ESX and all without any right on he OS. Any SNMP  or WBEM should be disabled on the OS if still present.

Kind regards,

Andrew