1748113 Members
3459 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 14GB External

CA797525
Occasional Advisor

14GB External

Cannot complete a full backup,as it will hang.Will stop at no set place,and then I have to reboot.I am using a new HP tape and Stomp 4.61 software(also tried HP Colorado BU 11 4.0.Have followed these directions from a HP Tech but didn't solve the problem: 1. Delete the catalog [delete: c:\programfiles\hewlettpackard\colorado
backup\system\catalog; deleting "primary" and all other entries in the
catalog folder].

2. Check for TSRs and remove them. TSRs can cause lockups or hanging.

3. Retension the tape 3 times and then reinitialize it.

4. Run tape diag (It is available to download from HP's website).
My system is a 600mz Gateway with 256 ram.Thanks Keith
13 REPLIES 13
Tim Martin_3
Valued Contributor

Keith-
Please tell everyone which operating system you are running.

Tim
If it works, don't fix it!
CA797525
Occasional Advisor

I am running 98SE.
Tim Martin_3
Valued Contributor

Keith-
In my understanding, the Stomp Backup MyPC does NOT come with any device drivers. They are at version 4.81, so V4.61 does not sound very old. In my thinking, this should work if you had the right device drivers. (You are either using what are native with Win98 or maybe whatever your HP Backup II v4.0 installed.)

So, perhaps you have a device driver problem to resolve. System hangups (at no "set place") are consistent with this diagnosis.

See if you can find the correct device drivers for your OS versoin on HP's website and get them properly installed. Perhaps at that point Stomp will work.

Otherwise, I'd recommend HP Colorado Backup II Version 7.0 or later for Win98SE.

HP no longer distributes Colorado Backup.

Others on the board have stated that some versions can be downloaded at a third party website:
http://www.rountree-inc.com/downloads.html

Tim
CA797525
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Tim for the advice.I went to the Roundtree site that you suggested,and d\l the 8.1 version of Colorado Backup.Will try and see if I can get a full backup tomorrow and will get back to you.Thanks again.Keith
D. Saunders
Occasional Advisor

I am having a similar problem with my HP 14GB external drive. I don't know what to do.

I'm running Win 98SE. I have the tape drive (and an HP printer) connected to a parallel port switchbox. When I installed drivers for an Iomega zip drive, I had to remove ATAPI shuttle driver to get zip drive to work so then the tape drive was no longer being detected. I re-installed the tape drive drivers and the tape drive was detected and everything seemed normal. But when I did a total backup, I came back next morning to find the tape drive was "hanging". The tape wasn't moving. I cancelled the backup and computer froze. Rebooted, and clicked on the tape software. Got "Catalog needs to be repaired" message and there were no files on the tape. I've tried different tapes, incremental backups, etc. Any suggestions? Please help, I need to be able to backup my hard drive! Thanks . . ..
D. Saunders
Occasional Advisor

I am having a similar problem with my HP 14GB external drive. I don't know what to do.

I'm running Win 98SE. I have the tape drive (and an HP printer) connected to a parallel port switchbox. When I installed drivers for an Iomega zip drive, I had to remove ATAPI shuttle driver to get zip drive to work so then the tape drive was no longer being detected. I re-installed the tape drive drivers and the tape drive was detected and everything seemed normal. But when I did a total backup, I came back next morning to find the tape drive was "hanging". The tape wasn't moving. I cancelled the backup and computer froze. Rebooted, and clicked on the tape software. Got "Catalog needs to be repaired" message and there were no files on the tape. I've tried different tapes, incremental backups, etc. Any suggestions? Do I need to de-install something and re-install? This is exasperating. Please help, I need to be able to backup my hard drive! Thanks . . ..
CA797525
Occasional Advisor

Tried to b\u with the new software from Roundtree,but the same problem exists.Tried to backup again with the same tape checking the "new and changed" button,but received this message:an error occured while flushing a file to the media.Defected or changed area detected on media.So I guess I'm back to square one.Any other suggestions?Thanks Keith
Tim Martin_3
Valued Contributor

Keith-
Have you found and installed the Win98 driver(s) for your device from the HP Website?

I still think this is the piece you are missing.

Tim

CA797525
Occasional Advisor

Tim,
Have gone to HP\98 site previously, and d\l Firmware update,HP Shuttle Tech Parallel Port Driver drvupdat.exe,and HP Shuttle Tech Parallel Port Driver epatupdt.exe.Is this the drivers you are referring to?Thanks Keith