5420 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 14GB External

Tim Martin_3
Valued Contributor

Keith-
Yes. Were you able to get the parallel port driver reinstalled?

I booted my win98se system without my external 20gb colorado drive. Then, in my computer/properties/device manager, I can see the SCSI controller, flagged with an explanation point to show that it is "broken" (no device attached). At this point, no tape drives are shown in device manager.

The details about the driver for this device show that it is a "Shuttle EPAT external ATAPI Adapter for Win9x". Its name is "epatap9x.mpd" from Shuttle Technology, V1.42. (There is a second entry for a file named IOS.vxd). My driver would have been loaded from the HP Colorado II Backup V9.1 CD-Rom. (The download version may only contain the HP Colorado II Backup program, not all the device drivers, etc., that are found on the CD-Rom.)

After a shutdown to reconnect my 20GBe tape drive, the My Computer/Properties/Device Manager no longer shows the explanation point. I also have an entry for Tape drives where the 20gbe is shown. It is listed as the HP Colorodo 20GBe and the details tell me that "no drivers" were required.

So, shutdown and reboot without your tape drive attached. See if your device manager entries are similar to what I describe. If not, then install the new epatp9x driver. When that is resolved, shutdown and reboot with the tape drive attached. At that point, again see if the device manager entries are similar to what I describe.

Tim
If it works, don't fix it!
CA797525
Occasional Advisor

Tim,
My entries in Device Mgr were similar to yours,however I had two SCSI entries flagged.I then reconnected the tape drive and rebooted, and still had two SCSI entries,but only one flagged.(Should I remove the flagged one?)There was also an entry for my 14GB tape drive.I did check on updating the driver,and the best driver is already loaded,which is listed as epatap9x.inf.Is this the driver you were referring to at the beginning of your post?Thanks for your continued help and knowledge.Keith
Tim Martin_3
Valued Contributor

Keith-
Definitely remove the extra SCSI device. Then reboot with the tape drive attached and see if things still look correct, especially as far as the epatap9x.mpd driver. (Mine shows .mpd there.)

Everytime you make changes, I'd reboot and look again to make sure that the changes are taking.

When you get it looking good, reboot one last time with the tape drive attached and try out the tapediag.exe program from the HP website.

It should find your device and show you details about it (serial number, firmware rev, etc.) You can use a scratch tape to exercise the drive fully for write and read. If it passes all that you are in good shape. The operation takes about 3-4 minutes when you are testing with a scratch tape. And, your system should be able to pass this test several times without any failures.

Then, try doing some simple tape operations (eg, retensions, initializations, small selective backups and restores, etc.) before you do a full backup.

Tim
If it works, don't fix it!
CA797525
Occasional Advisor

Tim,
Followed your advice and was able to get a full backup,but to be quite honest,not totally sure what the "fixer" was.:)Thanks again for all your help.Now I know where to turn to for good help.