StoreEver Tape Storage
1748140 Members
3499 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 8GB External causing problems and errors

Todd Gartman

8GB External causing problems and errors

Win 98, backing up local machine only. The problems started out when I would schedule a job, the software would cause the machine to reboot and I wouldn't get a backup, not even a report. I reinstalled the Colorado Backup software and now the backup runs, but I get a hardware error report on the comparision. "The backup device reported an unrecoverable hardware error. (07-12-23-00-40C5)"
The software also causes one workstation on the network to reboot and get hung. A hard start is needed to restart it. We are only backing up the local machine.

Any help would be appreciated,
Todd Gartman
3 REPLIES 3

I am receiving the identical hardware error, but mine occurs in the middle of the backup, not during the comparison. Have you found out anything new since posting your questions, or have you come up with a fix?

Thanks.

Richard Gandin
Todd Gartman

I have since uninstalled the software and deleted all directories containing traces of it. Reinstalled software, make sure nothing else is scheduled to run at the same time. It worked well for a while then crapped out after a few weeks. Double check the Windows scheduler to make sure nothing is set to run during the backups, this includes Win 98 builtin cleanup chores. Keep the backup catalogs compacted, keeping temp files out seems to help also. IO had a client with an internal 8gb drive give errors like this and it turned out to be a bad drive. HP will also have you update the firmware to the latest build.

Good luck, let me know if this helps.

Todd Gartman
CA811728

I am also getting this error message. It is occurring in the middle of a full restore. I replaced my hard drive and am trying to restore all the files from my original drive.