StoreEver Tape Storage
1754014 Members
7027 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Data Protector Express V4.0SP1, July 2010 build - "See your documentation for error information"

Bill Pedersen
Regular Advisor

Data Protector Express V4.0SP1, July 2010 build - "See your documentation for error information"

I get the following error message while backing up clients. It is from one or more of my Vista clients.  It does not go away until reboot of the client - sometimes not then - have had it two days in a row on one client.

Error 2147754994: See your documentation for error information

This is very similar to other error messages seen here on the board starting with 21477...

The error message though has proved worthless to me.  I find no reference to this sort of error message in the documentation.  Anyone else have any better luck?

Nothing appears to be logged on the server.  Nor do I find anything in the logs on the clients.  I have found that the "server" setting for the DPE client is set to "localhost" rather than the IP address of the domain server.  Although I am not convinced this was really the cause.

Thanks,

Bill.

Bill Pedersen
CCSS - Computer Consulting System Services, LLC
4 REPLIES 4
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Re: Data Protector Express V4.0SP1, July 2010 build - "See your documentation for error informa

That is a VSS problem do you have enough space on the client so that the snapshot gets taken?

Pablo Alvarado Siles

Pablo Alv Siles
Bill Pedersen
Regular Advisor

Re: Data Protector Express V4.0SP1, July 2010 build - "See your documentation for error informa

each client has a couple gigabytes of memory so I would think that there is enough memory.

VSS = ?

Thanks,

Bill.

Bill Pedersen
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

VSS is Virtual Shadow Copy I got this data from and old page

The data protector express Backup Volume Shadow Copy Service Agent has the following basic requirements:
1. The VSS Agent will only work on NTFS volumes.
2. The VSS Agent is designed to work on the following Operating Systems only:
A. Windows XP Professional (supports only 1 snapshot at a time)
B. Windows Server 2003

NOTE: The VSS Agent will not work on any other Windows OS.

3. The VSS Agent requires at least 100MB of free space for each volume to be protected. This requirement is very strict, if even 99MB is available, the VSS snap will fail. This is an inherent requirement of VSS.
4. The VSS agent requires the following Windows Services be running for correct operation:
A. VSS service
B. MS Software Shadow Copy Provider Service

Pablo Alvarado Siles

Pablo Alv Siles
Bill Pedersen
Regular Advisor

Well the issue we have here is DPE works fine for a while on the client and then does AWOL with this issue.

The clients are Windows Vista Business.

If this is free space on the volume that is no issue.  Try 100 GIGABYTES.

Still seems like poor documentation.

Bill Pedersen