6584 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Ultrium 460 - Tape Error LED

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert Sanders

HP Ultrium 460 - Tape Error LED

The Tape Error LED is flashing when I insert a cartridge, I know that this indicates that the cartridge is faulty, however I've tried all my tapes in the drive and I get the same result. Is it possible for all the tapes to become unreadable at the same time or is there a problem with the drive itself?

I've tried the cleaning tape and it does its cleaning job and ejects the tape no problem.

I'm using an external Ultrium 460
9 REPLIES 9
Steve Bodiley

Re: HP Ultrium 460 - Tape Error LED

Hi Robert,

If the cleaning tape loads and works OK then it sounds like the drive is functionally sound.
Is this drive a new installation or have you loaded tapes in the past ?
A couple of things to check are the generation of LTO tapes you are using (gen 1 or 2 should be OK in this drive).
Also slide the door back on some of the tapes and check the leader pin is in place.

Failing that if you can pull a support ticket using "Library and Tape Tools" it will give the error code for the flashing LED, which should explain the cause.

Hope this gives you some ideas
Steve.
Barrie_Evans
Frequent Advisor

Robert,

Would it be possible for you to install and run HP StorageWorks Library & Tape Tools (L&TT)? You can find it here:

www.hp.com/support/tapetools

If you are able to run it, please select your device and extract (and save) a Support Ticket. This ticket can then be posted on this thread, and we can take a look at what problem(s) are occurring with your drive.

Best regards,
Barrie Evans
(L&TT Development Engineer)
Robert Sanders

I have been using the Tape drive for about 3 years with no problems and I have a mix of Gen 1 & 2 tapes, all of which have been working fine up until yesterday. I've taken a look at the tapes and they look fine, I'm the only one that handles them so they haven't been abused.

I have installed and run the L&TT and have attached the Support Ticket.
Barrie_Evans
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Robert,

Unfortunately it would appear that the news is bad..... The support ticket shows the failing load operations, but the error codes associated with these failures would suggest that you have a dead servo head(s). This would be sufficient to cause the load failures that you are seeing, and would also explain why the cleaning cartridge is loading correctly -- the drive does not use the servo heads when loading a cleaning cartridge.

The drive needs to be repaired. I am assuming that the drive is out of warranty now? If so, HP support may be able to help you locate a suitable repair centre.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Best regards,
Barrie Evans
Sahap Yuzer
Occasional Advisor

I'm having a similar issue with a MSL6030 library with 2 x 460 drives. The Tape Error LED flashes when I load cleaning tapes.

Backups run fine and no problemd with data tapes. Only cleaning tapes and both drives do this.

Can it be still dead servo head(s)?
Barrie_Evans
Frequent Advisor

Does the cleaning cartridge get ejected quite soon after it is inserted (within about 10 seconds)? The most likely explanation for this problem is that your cleaning cartridge has expired.

If you load the cleaning cartridge and use Library & Tape Tools (L&TT - www.hp.com/support/tapetools) to pull a support ticket, you will be able to see how many cleans are remaining with your cleaning cartridge (expand the entry for your tape drive, and then expand the 'ejected tape' section and then look in the 'Cartridge usage' section).

Let me know how you get on?

cheers,
Barrie
Sahap Yuzer
Occasional Advisor

No it doesn't eject the cleaning tapes.
I use the front display to remove the cleaning tape.

I tried 2 tapes, one is old and other one
is week old so both of them fails.
I'm getting a brand-new cleaning tape
and will see if that will work.

I run L&TT tests and got no errors on both drives and library. It's very strange.
Mark Schilling

I am having this same issue and was hoping some one can help determine if my drive is bad as well. I have attached the support ticket.

Thanks,

Mark
Maxwell Twumasi

I have the same problem but with mine, it the flashing occurs during the mounting stage.