1745872 Members
3949 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP response - Colorados and XP

CA756694
Honored Contributor

HP response - Colorados and XP

There have been many messages on this forum with regard to the compatibility of the Colorado product and Windows XP. Rather than respond to each and every one, I thought it better to post up one thread where I can provide a statement as to what is happening and answer your questions.

As you've gathered there are problems. The problems are driver related.

We, as in HP, are trying very, very hard to find a solution but as there multiple organisations involved then it is not proving easy. We realise that the only losers in this are you guys, our customers.

I know you are all frustrated and you think that HP doesn't care that it's customers are having problems, but this is NOT the case.

It's going to sound clich??, but you need to bear with us until we find that solution.

John Nash
Hewlett Packard
Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
224 REPLIES 224
BR19682
Esteemed Contributor

Hi John.
Just wanted to let you know, that there are a few people understnading your problems.
We have had HP-UX problems by tons, but with the escalation process we got at least 99 % solved. Some took a real while, but they have finally been fixed.
To the impatient people ( sometimes me as well ) :
I have seen these guys and ladies really work hard on visits at the different locations in Germany. So pls trust them.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Doug Little

John,
Appreciate your canidness. Can you give us tape dependent folks any ideas. Weeks, month..?

Thanks for your hard work
Doug
CA756694
Honored Contributor

I thought the solution was only a few weeks away months ago !

There are investigation results moving between the concerned parties but I have yet to be able to successfully pin a deadline date to a released solution.

cheers

John
CA816442
Advisor

John,

Here is my question... why is it that HP cannot get an XP driver out for the HP Colorado 8GB internal tape drive, but Stompinc has produced a backup program that will operate the drive as a tape backup device via its tape backup program Backup MyPC ??

Seems like the driver technology has been "invented".

So what is really going on ??

-Ric
...like a rolling stone
CA756694
Honored Contributor

Ric,

The driver technology may have been invented but not, crucially, by us.

The qic157 is the generic driver for these devices but the externals require the additional one.

cheers

John
CA816442
Advisor

Thanks John,

I'm having problem with the internal Colorado 8GB. It has the driver qic157.sys ver 5.1.2600.0 (XPClient.010817-1148) but still no operation.

Using NovaBack I get "Tape Unit is not ready". Using the Backup Utility provided by XP (Microsoft & Veritas) I get "Required Media Missing".

Do I have a different issue, or is this the expected failure ?

Here is the interesting part- a buddy of mine upgraded XP over Win98 so his Colorado Backup II was already installed. It WORKS on XP !! He's doing backups and restores on the identical tape unit as me, where I fail.

I tried to install my Colorado Backup II ver 9.0 that I had previously downloaded but it said my OS (XP) was not a supported OS. Seems, if I had not done a clean install and had had it previously installed I may have been able to use it.

Any ideas on this ? Maybe the final CBII should be patched to NOT check the OS during installation.

Why is my friends CBII runing his internal Colorado 8GB on XP ?? (I don't know what ver he is using)

There's a solution lurking here...

-Ric
...like a rolling stone
bernt_1
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for being upfront about the problem. I also have am 8gb external drive. I also have a new computer Pentium 4 1.8/512Ram with windows xp, I was told the computer may be too fast for the drive. Is this speed problem to be corrected or is the drive to be used only with my lesser networked computer as the sole solution to ever using the tape backup again?

CA756694
Honored Contributor

The CBII thing sounds really intriguing but our hands are tied as later versions of CBII were licensed from VERITAS (the people that also make Back Up My Pc).

Your Novaback problem again looks like it's driver related. Media and timeout errors are just the symptoms.

I heard that the backup utility and the QIC157 driver (with the SCM driver) does the job as well. This is something that we can, and will, validate as the results that I had indicated that they didn't.

Keep those comments coming !

cheers

John

CA701284
Regular Advisor

Have you tried using the XP application Compatibilty Toolkit that comes with XP to install CB II and tell it is is running on W2K or 98? I think I would give it a shot. It may just be the install program that has a problem with XP and if the OS tells it that it is running on something other than XP it may work for you.