Re: HP response - Colorados and XP

John,

Sure, try: ken@beyondthefog.com

Ken
CA814553
Occasional Advisor

Hi John,

Let me share some experience with you. It may help here, and in W2K and NT problems.

We use W2K as one platform for testing tape drive multiplexing and mirroring. Naturally there are a lot of tests that do not go "as planned". The result is "media not recognized" and similar problems.

We can see the same thing with tapes that has been init'd by other systems.

So - what we do is to use our equipment to write several more-than-80-byte records from physical BOT. 80 or smaller won't work, and a simple hardware erase command won't work.

The result is an unrecognized media that W2K offers to prepare. Success!

Peter
CA756694
Honored Contributor

Internal Colorados.

I would be interested in more information on Colorado internals with both the XP backup application and Veritas's BUMP.

I have run a number of tests here with different internal drives and both methods of backup and they have worked each and every time.

Post your email address and a brief system overview and I will be in touch.

cheers

John

Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
Lazaros Economou

Hi John,
I recently upgraded from NT4 to XP. I ended up
with 6 GB of valuable user data I can't restore. One solution would be to move my
T3000 to a friend running 98, restore everything on his CDR and throw my T3000
in the bin...

- Can HP provide his customers with a list of possible workarounds ? It doesn't have to be an official solution. Just give us something, a
few hints and tips (other than wait for drivers) would do the job (at least for now)

- Will HP Colorado backup for DOS restore files on an XP machine (originally backed up with Backup Exec)?

Regards,
Lazaros
CA756694
Honored Contributor

Laza

First of all, I am not even sure that files saved with Backup Exec can be restored by Colorado backup.

The second point is that a T3000 was the last of the _floppy_ port drives last produced nearly 5 years ago. It's not a Colorado external drive, which is what this thread was started to solve, and so any final solution here won't help you.

Third point. I am not sure about DOS and XP but knowing Microsoft, I am sure that you will only be lucky to get any old DOS utility operating without some serious fiddling about.

Being honest about it, we have done nothing with the compatibility of floppy port devices with XP and I have no beginnings of a clue as to whether they will operate or not. Maybe when I've solved the problems with the Colorados, we'll take a look at the older floppy devices.

In the meantime, my advice is a restore onto your friends Win98 machine and a network cable.

cheers

John
REYMOND

Hi John
Last year i bought a brand new internal colorado 14Gb.
Unfortunately i could get the time to install it before this week...
My computer is a new hp with windows XP home office and when i plug in the colorado it has been installed successfully with Microsoft driver version:5.1.2600.0

The connection seem ok when running the diag, but I can't write anything on any of my 5 new tapes...

Is there any other solution (driver, soft,....) to be use with this backup tape and XP before you build a new driver??

Thanks for your support.
Brdgs,
Cedric.
CA816442
Advisor

This is EXACTLY my experience with the internal 8GB unit.

I encourage John and others at HP to duplicate this issue in order to find an adequate resolution.

Apparently John's/HP's experience is always a successful install and subsequent operation.

That is not my case. its frustrating, but more, it precludes my utilizing necessary restores and future backups on what is a mainstream OS in the marketplace.

-Ric
...like a rolling stone
CA756694
Honored Contributor

Cedric,

If you post your email address I can talk to you about your system config.

I must say that I have been unable to get any internal unit to NOT work on an XP system and I have tried them in a number of configurations, either with the BUMP software or with the native backup applet.

cheers

John
Beke Payne

John:

I am new to the discussion group and have read many of the posted messages/replies but am still confused about the following:

We have a Colorado 20GB External tape drive and I am wanting the XP driver for that unit. Is this available? I did not see it listed on the driver site for this unit.

If not available -- Should I try to install the system and see if I can get it to work??

Thanks
Beke
CA756694
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It is the external drives that have a problem as the driver that enables the device to work through the parallel port does not work correctly.

I am not aware of anyone that has successfully got an external to work in XP yet. If I am wrong about that - then pleaase post your details here.

We need to do some work with the third party that owns the driver, and that is still ongoing.

cheers,
John