108759 Solutions
New Discussion

LTFS won't mount Mac OS X

SOLVED
Go to solution
DKuhnen
Occasional Visitor

LTFS won't mount Mac OS X

New Utrium 3000, firmware Z3ED, New ATTO H644, Driver 160, Flash Bundle (firmware) 101119,

HP LTFS Binaries 1.1.0, Mac Pro1,1, Mac OS 10.5.8

I can format using  mkltfs -d 0 -f

I can create the directory using  mkdir -p /mnt/lto5

when I attempt to mount using  ltfs /mnt/lto5  I get the following;

edit-suites-mac-pro:lto5 editsuite$ ltfs /mnt/lto5

LTFS14000I LTFS starting, LTFS version 1.1.0, log level 2

LTFS14064I Sync type is "unmount"

LTFS20013I Drive type is HP LTO5, serial number is Confidential info erased

LTFS11005I Mounting the volume

LTFS12015I Attempting to load the medium

LTFS11026I Performing a full medium consistency check

LTFS11233I Updating MAM coherency data

LTFS11031I Volume mounted successfully

kextload: /Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/Support/fusefs.kext loaded successfully

LTFS14029I Ready to receive filesystem requests

This results in what appears to be a locked up condition in the Terminal window since there is no $ and commands are ignored. Volume is not mounted on Desktop.

I can open a new Terminal and confirm directories, copy to and from LTO but I can not unmount to allow Eject of cassette.

I would prefer to have the LTO volume mount on the desktop to allow drag & drop and also would like to be able to eject without having to shut computer down.

FYI, I am pretty new to Terminal but am comfortable with DOS

2 REPLIES 2
DKuhnen
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Re: LTFS won't mount Mac OS X

Using LTFS on Mac OS X for the Terminal interface illiterate.

I struggled to get LTFS working on Leopard 10.5.8 because I was not familiar with Terminal/Linux commands and the Support people assumed a certain level of competency. I was ultimately able to figure out what was omitted from  the instructions and fill in the blanks (for my situation anyway). 

Use Google to find the downloads referenced below.

Based on the HP LTFS Support matrix documentation, I purchased an HP EH958A Ultrium 3000 LTO-5 tape drive and a ATTO ExpressSAS H644 PCIe interface card.

I downloaded and installed the latest firmware and drivers from ATTO

I downloaded and installed HP StorageWorks Library and Tape Tools and used Terminal to update the Ultrium 3000 firmware

Per the HP Storageworks HP LTFS Linear Tape File System user guide, I downloaded and installed MacFUSE module version 2.0.3,2 from  http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/

I downloaded and installed HP LTFS Binaries (v1.1.0) by first installing the provided ICUFrameworks followed by LinearTapeFileSystem

That completes the updates and installs, you are now ready to use LTFS

Open Terminal window, copy paste the following commands

export PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin"

--This instructs your system where to look for the definition of LTFS commands

mkltfs -d 0 -f

--With a tape loaded this formats the tape for LTFS, the -f variable forces a reformat if necessary

mkdir -p /mnt/lto5

--This creates a folder (directory) at the top (root) level of your system drive called: mnt, and creates

another folder called: lto5 inside the mnt folder, the -p variable allows creation of a folder inside another folder 

--If you prefer, you can simply create a folder on your desktop using Finder (Cmnd-Shift-N) and name it lto5

ltfs /mnt/lto5

--Changes the lto5 directory inside mnt folder on System drive to represent the LTO-5 tape drive

--If you created the lto5 folder on your desktop you would use this command;

ltfs /users/(current username)/desktop/lto5

When you look at the lto5 directory you will notice the lto5 icon has changed from a folder to a 

shared network volume icon

NOTE: This command will remove control from this Terminal window until after the drive is unmounted. Do NOT close this Terminal window. Any additional commands including 'umount' must be performed in a new Terminal window. 

You can now drag and drop files and folders onto the lto5 shared network volume icon.

Please understand that if you remove a file from the LTO-5 tape it does NOT necessarily free up space like a hard drive. Review limitations listed in the LTFS USER Guide.

umount /mnt/lto5

--To unmount tape, this must be performed before EJECT. This will return the lto5 icon from a shared 

network volume icon back to a folder icon

To re-mount a recorded tape use the  ltfs /mnt/lto5  or equivalent command

noskcid

Re: LTFS won't mount Mac OS X

Im unable to use HP Open store other than the command line......

below is the outcome, can anyone help me out with this.

sh-3.2# mkltfs -d 1
LTFS15526I This operation will result in irrecoverable loss of data on the tape (Data or LTFS formatted).
Enter 'Y' if you agree or any other key to abort.
y
LTFS15000I Starting mkltfs, HP StoreOpen Automation version 1.3.0, log level 2
LTFS15041I Launched by "mkltfs -d 1"
LTFS15042I This binary is built for Mac OS X
LTFS15043I GCC version is 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646)
LTFS17087I Kernel version: Darwin Kernel Version 12.5.0: Sun Sep 29 13:33:47 PDT 2013; root:xnu-2050.48.12~1/RELEASE_X86_64
LTFS17085I Plugin: Loading "ltotape" driver
LTFS20027E Failed to find specific device instance 1
LTFS12012E Cannot open device: failed backend open call
LTFS10004E Cannot open device '1'