1752461 Members
5717 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Powertape 4000 + USB-SCSI Adapter + Dell Latitude c840

CA835893
Occasional Contributor

Powertape 4000 + USB-SCSI Adapter + Dell Latitude c840

I am doing a data analysis project for a veterinary clinic and their DOS-based system backs up on to a Colorado Memory Systems Powertape 4000. I purchased a working Powertape 4000 off of half.com and it came with unit, cables, and power supply.

I purchased a SCSI 2-USB cable made by SCM Microsystems and this is attached to the SCSI 1 (unit) - SCSI 2 (free end) cable. So far so good.

However, my laptop runs Win 2K professional and it does not recognize the PnP SCSI-USB cable. There is a small LED located on the SCSI-USB adapter that, supposedly, lights up when the connection is made. No luck.

I also have an identical Powertape 2400 unit but, using the same cables, etc, it also fails to send Win 2K into detect new hardware mode.

I do not know what else to do -- can any experienced users out there help me out?
3 REPLIES 3
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor

Re: Powertape 4000 + USB-SCSI Adapter + Dell Latitude c840

Dear Alex,
I suggest you talk to SCM Microsystems. This configuration would never have been tested by HP as valid. I think the Powertapes were DAT drives sold by Colorado Memory Systems and are HP DDS-1 or DDS-2 drives. Your W2L laptop will have a SCSI tape driver available.
In my experience even PCMIA SCSI cards can be problematic when connecting tape drives to laptops. A desktop PC with standard Adaptec SCSI HBA whould be a better bet. You could use a modern DAT drive as they read the earlier formats. Problem is of the backups are made with Colorado memory Systems application then you have the problem reading the tapes.

Rothery
CA835893
Occasional Contributor

Rothery

Thanks for your quick reply. The Powertape 4000 actually uses a QIC tape (2Mb/4Mb), not DAT, and if there are more modern tape units that can read these old QIC tapes, I'd be more than happy to pick one up.

My problem appears to be that SCM Microsystems claim that the USB-SCSI cable draws power from the SCSI interface is not true -- the LED indicating power does not come on under any circumstances.

As for software, I have Colorado Backup II v9 and I understand that this software reads quite a few older versions of the same.

Do you have any other ideas?
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor

Dear Alex,
The power is normally drawn from the SCSI term power line. This is sometimes switchable. Sorry about confusing the powertape with DAT. (There was a DAT model somewhere in the distant past.
QIC drives are getting thin on the ground. Can yo identify the cartridge is it the large QIC or the mini-cartridge.

Rothery