4706 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re-using old media

SOLVED
Go to solution
BR676104

Re-using old media

Hi we have just upgraded from compaq 35/70 drives to the HP Surestore VS 80, we need to re use the old media however if i put one of the old tapes into the surestore it spits it out at me how can i make these tapes ok for use with my surestore drives,

I think hardware compression was enabled on the old compaq drives
2 REPLIES 2
Mark Vollmers
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Re: Re-using old media

Hi-

You might have a format difference, and the tapes are incompatable. You should be able to check the information for the two tape drives to see if this is the case. You might have to look at tape specs, since physical cartridge size might be the same but the tape is different. Since the tape comes out immediatly, there is something about it that the new drive doesn't like, so you can't format it.
It might be easier just to buy new tapes, since HP drives have been known to have issues with non-hp tapes. Everyone recommends that you buy their tapes, but in this case, hp really means it.

Mark
"We apologize for the inconvience" -God's last message to all creation, from Douglas Adams "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish"
BR676104

Re: Re-using old media

Many Thanks

I have found this support article which outlines pretty much the problem.

I took the tape that was being spat out and erased it in a different compaq drive 20/40 and the media was write protected

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/241298.htm