StoreEver Tape Storage
1752572 Members
4652 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

[SOLVED] No space left on device?! support ticket attached!

SOLVED
Go to solution
bmop
Occasional Advisor

[SOLVED] No space left on device?! support ticket attached!

Hello,

I'm using an HP StorageWorks Ultrium 1760 tape drive with D2407-LTO4 800GB/1600GB tapes. I've been getting the following error when creating a backup tape which should hold 800GB:

Total bytes written: 591103295488 (551GiB, 25MiB/s)
/bin/tar: /dev/st0: Cannot write: No space left on device
/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
Error in writing tape!

This has been happening consitently. It usually runs out of space around 600GB. This has been a gradual procecess; I had this same problem about 6 months ago, when it began to run out of room at ~700GB. I downloaded the HP L&TT tools and attached a support ticket.

I also ran the LVO Drive Assessment Test in L&TT tools and noticed this little snippet at the end:

- The LTO Drive Assessment Test has checked the history and/or operation of the selected drive, and
    - problems have been reported.
    - The drive is no longer recommended for use.
    - Please contact hp support for further assistance.

Is this drive dead? Or does "no longer recommended for use" simply mean that HP no longer supports the drive and just wants me to purchase another? Or does it mean the drive is broken and unrepairable? The support ticket said

Thanks for your help!

Just in case you're curious, here's the entire LVO drive assessment test -

- Test 'LTO Drive Assessment test' started on device 'HP Ultrium 4-SCSI' at address '10.4.0[1-/dev/sg0]'
  - Operations Log
    - executing LTO Drive Assessment Test...
    - checking tape load ...
    - analyzing device data...
    - updating device writeback data...
    -
    - erasing ...
    - soft unload ...
    - loading ...
    - writing wrap 4 ...
    - soft unload ...
    - loading ...
    - erasing ...
    - Test failed
  - Analysis Results
    - LTO Drive Assessment Test, version V01.09.2010
    - Test run: Wed Oct 27 16:34:49 2010
    - Drive serial number: HU18292L66
    - Data Cartridge Information:
    -     Vendor: IMATION
    -     Format: LTO-4
    -     Serial Number: 0D41919690
    -     Barcode: Unknown
    - ANALYSIS OF HISTORICAL INFORMATION (from drive logs):
    - version: V14.09.2010
    - Firmware rev W51D is up-to-date for Ultrium 4-SCSI as of Mon Jun 8 19:00:00 2009.
    - There were 19 rules checked.
    - Device Analysis has checked the historical information and no problems were found.
    - RESULTS OF TESTS ON THIS DRIVE
    - [Please note: the operations performed by this overwrite test will NOT be
    - reflected in the Support Ticket usage/health information.]
    - Amount of data required~R test option : Default
    -     Iteration number: 1 of 1
    -        Overall Margin: Warning (292 MB written)
    -        Wrap 4 Margin: Warning
    - The LTO Drive Assessment Test has checked the history and/or operation of the selected drive, and
    - problems have been reported.
    - The drive is no longer recommended for use.
    - Please contact hp support for further assistance.

14 REPLIES 14
bmop
Occasional Advisor

Re: No space left on device?! support ticket attached!

For some reason I can't attach a ticket, so here it is copy/paste style! This is the first half...

edit: content removed because support ticket is now attached.

bmop
Occasional Advisor

part 2/2

edit: content removed because support ticket is now attached.

Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The logs are showing that at least 2 different tapes are not getting the expected capacity which matches with your issue of not getting enough data onto the tape.

The logs show no cleaning cycles a lots of read/write cycles with very few load cycles.  The built in head cleaning runs at load/unload so not many load/unload cycles may mean that the internal cleaning hasn't run enough.  If you have any new tapes I would recommend cleaning the drive a few times then load a new tape and run it as much as possible for a few days and check again.  The cleaning tape will clean the head some and new tapes are a little bit abrasive and will clean the head further - a few passes with a new tape probably does more than the cleaning tape.

bmop
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply!

By load/unload do you mean simply inserting a tape cartidge into the drive, then ejecting it? I've done that dozens of times, and have probably written at least 10-15 tapes since this problem began. I've used 4 different tapes while attempting to diagnose this problem, loading/unloading/writing/erasing/rewriting etc. It takes at least 10 hours to create each backup tape, so the drive has been run enough to safely say I've already unwittingly applied your suggestion. The only thing I haven't done is use a cleaning cartidge, but I've certainly run more than a few passes with a new tape.

Generally I don't use the load command($ mt -f /dev/st0 load), I just gently push the tape into the drive until it grabs hold of the tape and does the rest. Does using the command actually do anything? The drive sounds like it goes through the same operations irregardless of whether I use the command or nudge it in manually. The script which writes the data to the tape ejects it when finished using ($ mt -f /dev/st0 eject).

I'm not quite sure why the log shows very few load/unload cycles, unless I completely misunderstood what you said (I think I'm correct, as the mt manual page uses 'load' in the same context).

I don't know when a cleaning tape was last used on this drive... It may have been awhile. I don't have any LTO-4 cleaning catridges, but I do have some LTO-1 cartidges. The directions on those say they're ok to use on LTO-2 but state nothing about LTO-4 which is why I haven't already used one. I assume this is because these cartridges were purchased before the existence of LTO-4 was publicly acknolwledged. The directions also say not to use the cartridge unless the cleaning light on the drive is illuminated, which hasn't happened.

Again, thanks for the help, any/all suggestions are welcome, I just want to resolve this issue!

bmop
Occasional Advisor

I just had a gander at this recent post by thomasr http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Tape-Backup/Ultrium-920-SCSI-400GB-tapes-reporting-full-when-only-200GB-of/m-p/2311864/highlight/true#M20331

The support ticket says the head has 98% life remaning, so that shouldn't be the issue.

I don't think poor media is the issue (I'm using TDK tapes, they've always been fine).

Perhaps data isn't getting to the drive quickly enough? This seems unlikely to be the root of my problem, as I've been backing up tapes for a long time using the same hardware/method, and have never had an issue until recently.

thomasr
Respected Contributor

LTO Cleaning tapes are one size fits all, so your cleaning tape should be fine to use (keeping in mind 1) that it was apparently purchased when LTO-2 was the current technology, and over the next six years the media could have deteriorated if it's been kept in poor conditions, and, 2) cleaning tapes have only a certain number of uses (15 - 50 max, depending on the drive)... and if it has reached end-of-life you'll need to get a new one.

--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Performance effects how fast the data gets to the tape but LTO tape drives do not consume a measureable amount of additional space when data arrives slowly.  Instead of skipping tape to keep the tape moving like some tape drives HP LTO tape drives actually slow down the media speed to try and match the data rate up to 1/3 of the maximum rate.  After that the tape drive will stop and buffer data while it repositions the media and burst the data to the tape from the buffer.  Lots of tape drives will lose capacity due to poor performance so that keeps getting reported as a possibility but it isn't with HP LTO.

The 98% of head life remaining is a wear measurement and the head isn't showing much wear.  What that doesn't show is whether there is something on the head that is causing poor signal quality.  Most of the time when the head isn't worn and capacity loss is high we find that some contamination has been deposited on the head.  The only way to clean that is lots of passes with cleaning tapes and new tapes.

If you have recently used a new tape or two and run that for several hours without improvement then we may not gain anything by further cleaning but it should be tried.

Load counts are any time a tape is threaded whether the tape is manually pushed in or pulled in by the drive or anything else.  In your logs the ratio of full loads to full volumes written/read shows that the amount of tape read and written on each load has been equivalent to several tapes indicating reuse without changing the tape.  Pretty typical of a standalone drive where backups are done daily and the tape changed once a week or once a month but that usage model doesn't clean the head as well as a model where tapes are unloaded more frequently.

bmop
Occasional Advisor

I backup a lot of data... probably 500GB a week, wich comes to one tape a week at the moment since capacity is low. I change tapes frequently and I'm not sure why the log doesn't reflect that. I ran a cleaning tape a few times... I guess this thing is dead?

Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

If you could get a support ticket attached that would help us figure out if something has gone wrong with the drive.  More data is available at the lab than is displayed in the text version you attached.

Your load/unload raio is fine for a standalone drive and is probably reported accurately 213 loads for 352 times of full tape distance equivalent (might have accessed 1/2 of a tape 704 times or the full tape 352 times).

That load and read/write count is pretty low for problems like this to happen.