1751817 Members
5572 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Win 2000 doesn't see tape drive

CA733212
Occasional Contributor

Win 2000 doesn't see tape drive

We updated our server to Windows 2000 server from NT 4.0. Windows 2000 does not see the tape drive. Windows backup will not use the tape drive. We updated the drivers but this did not help.

How can we fix this?
The drive is a HP C1554A tape drive.

thanks,
Tim
4 REPLIES 4
tnht

I have the same problem with my window 2000 server. Could any body help ?

My tape drive is C1537A (HP SureStore DAT24). The SCSI boot see the drive but window 2000 server does not.

Please help
Troy DuVal
Advisor

This doesn't answer your question but it can work because I have the exact same model ( C1537A ) and I had it working on a Windows 2000 Server machine a while ago. Unfortunatly we downgraded back to NT 4.0 ( other issues ) so I don't have the 2000 setup any more but it does work.

I'll see if I can find any notes I may have had regarding our 2000 setup.

Troy
Patrick Doman

You will need to check out the device in device manager. Make sure that the device is not listed as problematic. If it is, have you updated the driver for your device? With the DLT VS80, I had to update the driver in device manager to get it working. This seemed to fix my problem, perhaps it will help out with yours!
You should think before you answer!
Jeff Technician 7
Frequent Advisor

Hi Tim,
Are you using a 3rd party backup s/ware also? Or do you just want to use the native windows backup?

Is your drive seen on the bootup of your machine?

Hi Tnht

The same question goes to you...also is the device fine in device manager? Has it ever worked?

What both of you may need is Removable Storage Manager ( RSM ) enabled - found in...

Control Panel
Services

then scroll down to Removable Storage Manager

Hope this helps in some way

Jeff