StoreEver Tape Storage
1752513 Members
4812 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

XP Professional and DLT40 restores

Nick Kail

XP Professional and DLT40 restores

I have XP proand although I can get a full backup using PC Bax and MS NTbackup I can not restore I have cleaned the drive and tried everything I can think of ( drivers, hp diagnostics) the strange bit was it worked well until I decided to go to XP
Any other ideas would be appreciated

Nick
4 REPLIES 4
CA713937
Honored Contributor

Re: XP Professional and DLT40 restores

What specific error messages did you get during the restore?

By diagnostics, I assume you mean HP Library & Tape Tools. Does the read/write test pass?

What version of firmware are you on? You should be using V150 for an HP standalone DLT4000 drive.
The journey IS the reward.
Nick Kail

I am running V150 anf the error I get on NT Backup is Hardware fault yet it passes the read write test on the diagnostics ( it failed the first time so I reloaded the V150 firmware and it passed afterwards
I am at this moment trying a back and restore using PCBax again to see if it has made any difference
Nick Kail

Sorry here is the error message the problem is on the same card I have an HP C1537A and have no problems with that backing up and restoring so I don't think it is the SCSI card and the error I'm getting in the event log is a red herring

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\aic78xx1.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
CA713937
Honored Contributor

> I get on NT Backup is Hardware fault yet it passes the read write test on the diagnostics ( it failed the first time so I reloaded the V150 firmware and it passed afterwards.

Reloading the firmware is a placebo fix. I've yet to see a case where DLT firmware 'went bad'. At best, reloading the same firmware is like a power-cycle.

After a failure (either from your backup/restore failure, or from the read/write test), look in the Drive Error Log by viewing the support ticket. Set the detail level to 'everything', and look at the most recent (i.e. last) error entries. There is a POH (power-on hours) field that indicates when the error occurred. You can compare that with the current POH listed under the device to see if it happened at the time of failure.

If the drive reported any hard read/write errors, then there should some error messages logged, which we can analyze.
The journey IS the reward.