StoreEver Tape Storage
1752848 Members
3741 Online
108790 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: "Library Media Removal Prevented By Host" on MSL8096

Ron Trinidad

"Library Media Removal Prevented By Host" on MSL8096

I have an HP MSL8096 tape library and am using Backup Exec 11d for Windows. All jobs are running correctly. However, when I try to open the Mailslot through the library's control panel, I get a message that says "Library Media Removal Prevented by Host" message. I have tried restarting the software services and will only let me open the mailslot once; after that I get the message again. I read somewhere about a PMR bit that needs to be cleared. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Vesa Lempinen

Hello Ron !

In backup exec, go under "devices" tab.
select your tapedrive from the list, right-click it´s icon and select "unlock" or "unlock device"

After you have done this, the backup exec will send info to loader to unlock itself.

Next go to you tapedrive and select unlock from library´s control panel.now it shoud allow to unlock itself.

This is a handy tool to prevent unauthorized people to eject the magazines easily.
Ron Trinidad

Thanks Vesa. That worked fine. I guess we totally neglected to check the most simple things first. Now my next question is, is there a way to have the library automatically unlock after an Export job is finished; without having to send an Unlock job?
Vesa Lempinen

Under the job properties where you can configure different things that the job will do there is pre/post commands. There MAYBE can be some selection to command the job to unlock the tape device, but i´m not sure. it´s best to check the backup exec help files.

Tomorrow i´m going to customer for On-site service call, and they are using backup exec. I can check if i see something for that.

Alternatively, i believe that u can leave the autolader unlocked mode, the backup´s still should (?) work fine.

The best thing with backup exec is, more you mess and hassle with it, the more experienced you will get :0)
Ron Trinidad

Thanks again. I appreciate all your help.
Dam0z
Established Member

Hi guys,
I'm having the exact same issue on my 8096, but I'm using HP Data Protect 6.0 software. Currently the only way to swop tapes is to disconnect the fibres at the back to remove magazine.
Thanks.

小崔说Case
Honored Contributor

hello, I am using DP6.11 and MSL5060 with the same problem. and omnidbutil -show_locked_devs show driver 1 locked for backup running, but driver 4 with no backup is unlocked, and move medium from D4 to S49 failed for Media Removal Prevented error. who can solve it? Tks.