1752861 Members
3927 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1/8 autoloader sequential mode

Shanti Mandal
Occasional Contributor

1/8 autoloader sequential mode

it says in user guide for autolaoder that in "sequential mode" it will unload and load media from drive automatically.

however , when i try it does not unload and load automtically . I have to move media manually , we are not using any robotic aware software. we are using "chron" command to backup in HP UX.

it backup successfully with "HP UX" command when i load media in driver . case is like that it does not load automatically as it says in user guide so intht case it did not backup at all.

I tried to use command mc but it works in "automatic mode". and i have to load meadi to drive witht ah command. this willnot be automatic in this case.
3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Manual says:

"Sequential├в thedevicewillautomatically unload thetapeinthe drivewhenthe host software
sends an unload command to the drive and then automatically load the tape from the next
highest sequentially numbered full slot. "

and

"Loop ├в in Loop mode, the Autoloader will load the tape from the lowest numbered full slot
after the tape from the highest numbered full slot is unloaded. If Loop is not listed, the
Autoloader will stop automatically loading and unloading tapes after the tape from the last
full slot is unloaded."

"Sequential mode: Sequential mode is used when the backup software is NOT robotics-aware or
was designed for standalone drives only. In Sequential mode, the device automatically loads and
unloads tapes from the drive. The operator determines a tape to load by loading the desired tape into
the tape drive...
To further determine how you want tapes loaded into the tape drive while in Sequential mode, you
can set Loop and Autoload options from the operator control panel.
├в ┬в When Autoload mode is on, the device automatically loads the cartridge from the lowest-numbered
full slot into the tape drive. It then follows standard sequential operation.
├в ┬в When Loop modeison, theoriginal ├п┬м rst cartridge in the sequence is reloaded after the device
has cycled through all available cartridges. If Loop mode is off and the last cartridge has been
unloaded, the device stops loading cartridges until you load another manually. "

So you need to load the first tape manually.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Shanti Mandal
Occasional Contributor

Hi Torsten

Thank you, I have one more quetion.

If i load the tape drive first time manually. after when it will unload the tape. To unload the tape ,do i need to have have software or command in HP UX box, I am not using HP data protector. we are using "chron" command for backup.

or autolaoder will do in autolaod mode automatically.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

What exactly do you use for backup?

"cron" is only for timing.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!