Storage Boards Cleanup
To make it easier to find information about HPE Storage products and solutions, we are doing spring cleaning. This includes consolidation of some older boards, and a simpler structure that more accurately reflects how people use HPE Storage.
Tape Libraries and Drives
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10/180 HP Surestore Interface Manager

ddeblance
Frequent Advisor

10/180 HP Surestore Interface Manager

I'm trying to test an HP Surestore 10/180 connected to an N4000. The Interface Manager connects four A5158A hba's in the N4000. I'm using the external LVD bus on the N4000 to connect to the picker. When I run ioscan it see the A6356A (Surestore Interface Manager) as unclaimed unknown. What's the fix for this?

Darren DeBlance
7 REPLIES
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Re: 10/180 HP Surestore Interface Manager

The required driver schgr is configured in your system. You need to add it.
Check the /stand/system file for its entry.
If it is not there , then just put the entry for it there and rebuild the kernel
Reboot the system and you will see the schgr driver would be attached with the library.

Beware you need to add the sctl driver as well for the picker device. If it not present in kernel , then you need to add it as well.
Refer the following Libray configuration guide for it.
http://h200005.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg28977/lpg28977.pdf

You can use SAM to add these drivers at a time rebuid the kernel and reboot.
ddeblance
Frequent Advisor

I show both drivers sctl and schgr in /stand/system.
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Oh!! I got the problem. I missed it before.

You can't use the LVD/SE bus with this library picker as it requires Fast/Wide SCSI Interface.
Refer the product specification at
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg75009&locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=63828&prodTypeId=12169#N1004F

If you have F/W SCSI interface on the server , then connect the picker to it and you should see all good in ioscan ( ext_bus entry with c720 driver) and library operation.

ddeblance
Frequent Advisor

The library has an LVD card installed in one of the two slots in the back lefthand side. It's cabled (jumpered) from that card to the top drive then up to the A6356A. This was cabled like that when I received it from a Data Center. The LVD port on the N4k see's the A6356A but it is unclaimed unknown.
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I thought you are connecting the picker directly to the N4000. I guess now things are clear.

In the ioscan , you should not see the A6356A ( IM ) at all. You should see the library A5617A (10/180)
in your case and all tape drives. I guess you have connected the LVD port of the N4000 to the LVD controller's one of the ports on IM. Hence you see A6356A appearing in the ioscan and obviously you see the status as unclaimed uknown because autochgr can't bind to A6356A.
Disconnect that connection.
The 10/588 Controller/picker port can't be connected to the IM controller port.

I don't understand you saying "It's cabled (jumpered) from that card to the top drive then up to the A6356A"
Verify where and how connections are made.

The library controller /picker could be daisy chain with a drive if both have either
HVD or LVD interfaces. You can connect the picker directly on one of the FC card
If you have a spare SCSI port there and interface (LVD/HVD ) matches.

Refer these docs as well
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg29227/lpg29227.pdf

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg29180/lpg29180.pdf

ddeblance
Frequent Advisor

Yes, there's an LVD card in the library. That is daisy chained to the first drive in the library and then to the A6356A (IM). There are eight drives in the library and 4 controllers in the IM.
I have four A5158A hba in the N4000 cabled to each controller.
In ioscan I can see the /dev/td1-td4, but no drives or picker.
ddeblance
Frequent Advisor

I've connected the tape drives directly to the server and it sees them fine. So now I've narrowed it down to the IM. In ioscan I can see the fibre hba and all have link lights. On the IM everything has green lights. I logged into the IM through the web and I click on the status of the controller in the IM and none recognize a device. So there lies the problem. The IM does not see the tape devices or robot.